Will I be ok for cheating only a few times during first week of pre op...

Lindseydean1992
on 3/17/16 6:54 pm

Here's what I had the first week other than lean meals and liquids:

2 pbnj sandwiches on white bread.

cream of wheat with a little big of sugar

a handful of Goldfish crackers

a few slices of cheese (on saltine crackers)

about 5 marshmallow peeps

a few bites of coleslaw and potato salad and a "handfull" of bbq pulled pork and half a roll from Dickey's

Would yall say that is too much for a pre op diet or will I get away with that as long as I am pure water and zero carb protein shake all this week?

Neesie57
on 3/17/16 8:16 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

There is a reason your surgeon and nutritionist put you on a pre-op diet, to shrink the liver and prepare you for the diet after your surgery. Please do the right thing, and stick to his diet to a T, so that your surgery goes as well as you want it to go.  

Those foods have always been there, always will be there, so you need to know ahead of time what it's like to stick to his/her plan after you come home from the hospital.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/17/16 9:05 pm, edited 3/17/16 2:03 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

So my husband sat in the waiting room for a couple hours while I was being done and I was in recovery.  Here is what he witnessed on Monday.  My Doc came out and told him I did great, no concerns, and good day.  But he also heard him come out and tell family members that the patient's liver was still fatty and that usually meant that they had not followed their diet or that there was cause for concern, therfor he did a biopsy while in there.

So the answer is your doc will know, you'll probably still get the sugery, but don't be susprised if they bring it up to you.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Grim_Traveller
on 3/17/16 9:18 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's way, way, way too much. It's a really bad sign. It's an even worse sign that you don't see that it's bad, or why.

From here on out, don't just stick to your plan. Exceed it. If you can't, you should postpone surgery until you are ready.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cheyenne000
on 3/17/16 9:41 pm
VSG on 03/25/16

That is way to much. If you are unable to stick to the pre op diet. You will not be able to stick with the diet after and you can do damage to your new sleeve. Get on track and follow your doctor's plan. He gives you the plan for a reason. It will be hard but the pay off will be worth it. Good luck

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

kyzze
on 3/17/16 10:28 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

The whole point of the pre op is to shrink your liver so that is why your carbs are so limited during pre op diet, but from what I see all you ate were carbs. Please be careful, and follow the diet as your surgeon ordered, you don't want to have any complications or take the cahance that he.she can't perform the surgery. The preop diet is absolutely no fun but necessary.

Kyzze

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/17/16 10:56 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I think you should tell your Dr what you did & see what he thinks, especially since he's the one that has to work in there. 

Carb detox is hard & I think you should start & get off all those carbs. I think its triggering you to eat more.

Get back on the pre op diet, but if you're still having a problem you might want to wait b4 having surgery. Going off plan while you're healing can cause complications, & not having your head in the game won't help you to lose weight & keep it off. Keep it in mind the next time those goldfish crackers or whatever else that's tempting you, what do you want more? Crackers?, or getting the weight off.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sammy_85
on 3/17/16 11:27 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I think that eating off plan one time is too much. Eating off plan six times is ridiculous. I had a 14 day pre-op diet too. It sucked. It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I did it because I was serious about my surgery and my future success. The doctors don't demand a pre-op diet because they're ********; they demand it because they want your surgery to be as uncomplicated as possible. A fatty liver is slippery and hard to handle. A low carb pre-op diet reduces the slippery coating on your liver. You don't want your surgeon to nick your liver during surgery; this can be a very serious thing. I noticed that everything you ate was carb heavy. Are you ready to cut the carbs out of your diet post-op? For example, the marshmallow peeps you ate have more carbs in them than I eat in an entire day. The surgery will reduce the amount of hunger you experience (it should, anyway) but the cravings will still be there. The head hunger will still be there. I'm not trying to come off as harsh but I think you need to ask yourself if you are ready to make the changes necessary to be successful both before and after your surgery. If you aren't sure that you are ready, please postpone your surgery until you are. Also, you need to demand better from yourself. You are stronger than a 14 day pre-op diet. I know it's hard but please remember, if your doctor is requiring it then he deems it as necessary.

ladygodiva1228
on 3/18/16 1:33 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 18, 2016 at 1:54 AM Pacific Time, Lindseydean1992 wrote:

Here's what I had the first week other than lean meals and liquids:

2 pbnj sandwiches on white bread.

cream of wheat with a little big of sugar

a handful of Goldfish crackers

a few slices of cheese (on saltine crackers)

about 5 marshmallow peeps

a few bites of coleslaw and potato salad and a "handfull" of bbq pulled pork and half a roll from Dickey's

Would yall say that is too much for a pre op diet or will I get away with that as long as I am pure water and zero carb protein shake all this week?

No you will not be OK and get away with it.  Your doctor will know and he could very well just close you up and make you wait until you get your head in the game.

My SIL used to work at the same hospital that I had my surgery in and she had seen on numerous occasions people be wheeled into the OR only to be wheeled back out less than an hour later.  Why?  because they did not follow the pre-op diet and the surgeon knew as soon as he got in there.  One patient he made wait an entire year before he would do surgery again. 

If you are cheating on the pre-op then the post-op is going to very hard for you.  You might want to think about postponing your surgery and seek out a therapist to help get your head on the same page.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Terry G.
on 3/18/16 6:06 am

No, No, No.  What are you doing?  You're about to undergo a life-changing, unalterable surgery that will change the way you eat FOREVER and you can't even stick to the 2 week pre-op plan?  You need some tough love here.  Get your head in the game or you are just setting yourself up for failure.  You also need to discuss with your doctor because they might want to push your surgery out a little.  Your liver getting small for the operation is so very important.  The doctor isn't putting you on the pre-op diet just to cause you trouble - it's to save your life.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 373 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views