HAIR LOSS QUESTION!?

BREE_
on 3/18/16 1:55 pm
VSG on 03/21/16

FOR THE PPLE WHO HAVE HAD SURGERY ALREADY DID YOU LOSE ALOT OF HAIR AFTER? AND WHAT HELPED TO MINIMIZE HAIR LOSE? ALSO WAS IT BAD? IM HAVING SURGERY MONDAY AND EVERYTHING ELSE IM OK WITH ITS JUST BEING A GIRL OUR HAIR IS OUR PRIDE AND JOY LOL.. PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH IT AND WHAT HELPED..MY MD SAID THAT SHOOTING FOR 80G OF PROTEIN HELPS..THANKS AHEAD FOR THE RESPONSES I REALLY APPRECIATE IT THEM! 

rocky513
on 3/18/16 2:05 pm - WI

Do a Google search for  telogen effluvium.  The hair loss is from the anesthesia and the trauma of the surgery.  There is nothing you can do about it.  Getting your protein in will help the new hair grow in stronger, but won't prevent the loss.  Save your money and don't buy into the Biotin and special vitamins or shampoos.  They won't work.

I lost about 1/2 my hair and the only person who seemed to notice was me.  I got a sassy new haircut to get me through.  The hair loss starts at about 3 months out from surgery and lasts until about month 9.  My hair grew back just as strong and thick as ever.  

Not everyone loses hair, but most people do.  It's a small price to pay for being thin and healthy.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/18/16 3:05 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Search the forums for "hair loss." The question gets asked (and answered) at least a few times a week.

There is no way to prevent it or slow it down. Biotin, fancy shampoo, whatever else? Nope. Protein is important for a lot of reasons, but hair isn't really one of them.

Hair is just a thing, it grows back, and hair is worthless if you die young from a stroke.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 3/18/16 4:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Not everyone gets hair loss. It could happen, not it will happen. There is nobody I know from WLS who is bald. Mine actually got better than  it ever was.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

msecanales
on 3/18/16 6:33 pm

I am 4 months post op and my hair started to fall out about 2 weeks ago. I was kinda shocked because it is a lot BUT, I have ALOT of hair to begin with. I usually get headaches from having it in a pony tail so, I kinda don't mind.

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

TerriLMac
on 3/18/16 9:37 pm

I'm 5 months post op and I've had very little hair loss.  I'm crossing my fingers it won't happen to the extreme, but if it does, I wouldn't change a thing.  The surgery is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I take biotin every day, but I've been taking biotin for more than 3 years, so it wasn't new for me.  As I aged (I'm 55), my hair was starting to thin a bit so that's why I started.  Who knows if it helped or not, but try not to worry about it too much.  The sleeve is a wonderful tool!

cconroy55
on 3/19/16 4:10 pm

my hair loss started and stopped right on schedule (3-9 months), now in the growing back phase, which is very amusing as it is about 3 inches mixed in with the rest of the long hair.  This is NOTHING compared to how great I feel about the weight loss and all its awesome side effects like new clothes, ability to walk up stairs, etc.  Totally a short term thing.

Valerie G.
on 3/22/16 4:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

When it starts to happen, get a new hairdo - with some layers to blend in the new growth that will soon be emerging.  Treat yourself to some highlights, too.  Make it a glorious event, and it will be just in time to boost your confidence as your body starts to change.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

FuturePinUp
on 3/22/16 7:11 am

I'm 9 months out and I haven't had any hair loss. I have kept protein up past 80g since Day 1 post-op, and always take biotin and my multi-vitamins, religiously. It could just be luck or genetics, but so far, so good!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views