WHAT PROTEIN TO GET?

BREE_
on 3/19/16 5:36 am
VSG on 03/21/16

GOODMORNING! 

So my surgery is monday and i know some pple cant take the taste of the protein powder... what protein to you guys recommend that doesnt taste bad or is tasteless with a high gram of protein in it? 

Kathy2852
on 3/19/16 6:12 am - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

I am awaiting a revision from band to sleeve, so I already use protein drinks. I really love Premier protein drinks. They come in 11oz. Liquid containers. No mixing!  Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. 30 protein in each container and less than 200 calories. Even after recovery I plan to drink these for breakfast on work days. Easy and half your daily protein requirement. 

BREE_
on 3/19/16 6:39 am
VSG on 03/21/16

I was taking them too but my doctor said i have to buy the powder for after surgery but the ones that are grab to go are going to be to thick and strong on the stomach right after surgery. And i know alot of pple after surgery dont like the taste so i was wondering with tasteless powder ones they had 

alouisa63
on 3/19/16 6:50 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I haven't found a "tasteless" powder.  The unflavored just means it's not chocolate or vanilla but I still taste the protein.  After surgery, my group had no problem with us using the RTD Premier and I did use it... until i realized about 2 months out that it was the culprit of making me nauseous.  I'm still on a hunt for one I can tolerate!  

Just a hint - you can cut the RTD Premier with unsweetened almond milk so it's not so thick!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Kathy2852
on 3/19/16 8:03 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

Thanks for the hint. For the first two weeks after surgery we are only allowed 2 oz of protein drink 3 times a day. Maybe it won't be a problem. 

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 3/19/16 6:58 am
VSG on 01/11/16

during my first week post op I was only allowed clear liquids, I couldn't use rtd shakes. I bought unjury chicken broth and unflavored protein single serve packets

Neesie57
on 3/19/16 8:42 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

The Premier Protein shakes are not too thick for after surgery.  They are the same thickness as chocolate milk, and taste just as good to me.  I was allowed 3 to 4 Premier shakes a day.  My doctor sells the protein powder at his office, but I just couldn't stand the taste, and they were much thicker than a Premier protein RTD.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 12:06 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm 5 days down and the Premier mixed shakes are good but they have been too thick for me to do any more than 2oz at a time.  

It's been frustrating because I went and picked up some soy milk and it's much less thick.  However it's the same weight per oz.  I thought I was going to be crafty and get a less thick fluid and mix the shake mix into it.  I'll let you know how that works but my feeling was I tought it was not the thickness but the weight of one fluid vs the other.  However it might also be a texture, content, or bubbles type thing too because weight isn't a factor as it's the same.

I am able to drink the soy milk much quicker for 2oz than the Premier premixed.  But is has far less protein of course.

I've found if I focus on protein o end up getting far less fluid over the day than if I focus on water for example. I know there's got to be a balance but I've not found mine.  Do make sure you get as much fluid as you can.  My day 2&3 was under 20oz and on day 4 I felt the effects.  I stopped trying to deal with protein and me and a bottle of gator aid sat up until I got down 32oz over several hours and that really perked me up.  That day I got about 40oz in. I'm starting off slow again today because I've been trying protien again so I'm going to give up on that and work on fluid agin.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Kathy2852
on 3/19/16 8:06 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/29/16

How long did it take you to drink no the 2 oz?  That is all we are allowed at a time, and only 3 times a day. 

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/20/16 7:23 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

If my doc had its his way per the paperwork Id drink 3 shakes a day mixed with vitamins 3xs a day! So well more than 2oz of liquid protien maybe 3xs a day.  He also said aim for 60gs of protien and 60oz of water.  If you follow what he said above this would be no issue.  Thus my worry.  I still can't stomach his Nector shakes with vitamin crystals he wants, but I'm doing what I can now. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com