Need help w/protien early postop

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 2:56 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I'm on day 6 postop.  I'm not sure how much is normal your first week for total fluids but here is what I've been able to do.  I had approx 15-25oz my first 2days home. On the 4th day I knew I had to get more and got close to 38oz but in order to do that I had to leave protien alone and went full gatoraid that day.  I've been trying to mix protien and water/warm tea day 5&6 but with mixed results.  It's 5pm today and I've had 7oz protien shake and 11oz water.  I feel like I'm not doing well.

Here's some issues I'm having.  Anything I've tried in the full liquid category (protien) I can only drink 2oz at most.  Then it feels like I need to wait an hour before I feel ready to drink anything.  If I drink clear liquids I can easily drink 8oz in an hour.

My doctor's instructions state I should drink 1-2oz per 15mins during the 1-21 days post op section.  I can do that on clear liquids with no protien.  I start to fall far behind if I add protien powder in even 1/2 strength to these liquids.  I have unflavored protien, Premier premixed shakes, and Baratric Advantage protien powder , and Nector in two fruit flavors.  I've had a real issue with anything too sweet.

All suggestions welcome, I'm trying hard to keep track and push as much fluid as I feel able to do.  I'm not sure if I'm simply experiencing a lot of swelling, I did have a lapband remove at the same time of my VSG.  Other than this issue my pain is under control and I'm up and about moving slow but easily moving around the house fixing my drinks, went to the grocery store today to get out of the house.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Bufflehead
on 3/19/16 2:58 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I had good luck early on with Unjury chicken soup protein, chai vanilla tea (warm, not hot) mixed with vanilla protein powder, and beef broth (again, warm, not hot) mixed with steak seasoning and unflavored protein powder.

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/19/16 3:31 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I just made 4oz chicken broth with 1 scoop Nector unflavored which gave me 10g protien.  It went down smoothly and within 15mins.  

Thank you! 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

hollykim
on 3/19/16 7:02 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 19, 2016 at 9:56 PM Pacific Time, YellowTJ wrote:

I'm on day 6 postop.  I'm not sure how much is normal your first week for total fluids but here is what I've been able to do.  I had approx 15-25oz my first 2days home. On the 4th day I knew I had to get more and got close to 38oz but in order to do that I had to leave protien alone and went full gatoraid that day.  I've been trying to mix protien and water/warm tea day 5&6 but with mixed results.  It's 5pm today and I've had 7oz protien shake and 11oz water.  I feel like I'm not doing well.

Here's some issues I'm having.  Anything I've tried in the full liquid category (protien) I can only drink 2oz at most.  Then it feels like I need to wait an hour before I feel ready to drink anything.  If I drink clear liquids I can easily drink 8oz in an hour.

My doctor's instructions state I should drink 1-2oz per 15mins during the 1-21 days post op section.  I can do that on clear liquids with no protien.  I start to fall far behind if I add protien powder in even 1/2 strength to these liquids.  I have unflavored protien, Premier premixed shakes, and Baratric Advantage protien powder , and Nector in two fruit flavors.  I've had a real issue with anything too sweet.

All suggestions welcome, I'm trying hard to keep track and push as much fluid as I feel able to do.  I'm not sure if I'm simply experiencing a lot of swelling, I did have a lapband remove at the same time of my VSG.  Other than this issue my pain is under control and I'm up and about moving slow but easily moving around the house fixing my drinks, went to the grocery store today to get out of the house.

I would focus on liquids before protein. You can get dehydrated very quickly. Dehydration can be deadly. 

Your body has plenty of fat to burn for nutrition even for a couple of weeks or more,if you eat no protein. You will not die from not getting protein. Not getting fluids can land you back. The hospital.

it may feel like you have to wait for an hour to drink,but that is probably swelling. You can and should drink before an hour . Liquids go straight thru you pyloric valve without even stopping so ere is no reason you shouldn't be able to drink at least  an ounce every 15 minutes or more.