Pre-op Stumble. :(

honeywell
on 3/21/16 4:37 pm

Hello everyone. New here! 

I need a bit of advice. I received the results of my nuclear stress test required for my pre-op veg testing. It came back abnormal stating...

"Scan demonstrated a moderate sized zone of mild to moderate reversible ischemia in the basal-anterior segment with superimposed breast attenuation artifact."

My doctor says not to worry, but I am very worried. And...could this be a false positive? I searched the internet relating to breast attenuation artifact and large breasted women. Apparently these attributes can cause a false positive.

Has anyone had experience with these results?

alouisa63
on 3/21/16 8:02 pm, edited 3/21/16 1:00 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I had the exact same thing.  So after the nuclear stress test results I had to go see a cardiologist. Looking at all my charts and stuff, he said he couldn't definitively say I didn't have a blockage so he made  a few phone calls.  One test he wanted to run wouldn't work because the machine had a weight limit of 350 and I was 375.  He said that another test he wanted to do would be inconclusive because of my weight so I had to undergo a heart cath to rule out anything bad.  The heart cath came back showing no signs of a blockage.  What the stress test picked up was my big boobs!  If they had told me to take off my bra, the girls would have fallen to the side and not created the shadow!!!  When I was in the recovery room the nurse told me she knew I would be fine because they saw this false positive all the time in large chested women.

I was determined to have WLS so from the stress test, to see the cardiologist, to the heart cath, it was less than a week.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

honeywell
on 3/22/16 6:18 am

Thank you for your response!

I have been scouring the internet and have been reading exactly what you said. This seems to be an issue with large chested women. Which I most definitely am!

I am praying that is the issue. My doctor told me repeatedly not to worry and to pay attention to the words "mild to moderate" and "reversible."

alouisa63
on 3/22/16 6:23 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Exactly!  I was told in pre op for the heart cath that if they did find something, it could delay my WLS for 6 -12 months because they would use blood thinners as part of the treatment.  I can tell you that while I was on the table and the cardiologist said he saw nothing and I was fine, I cried :)

honeywell
on 4/11/16 7:28 am

I am having a heart cath on Wednesday. Very nervous. Very. I'm a natural paranoid person so this has sent my anxiety through the roof. The cardiologist went through all my other tests and he basically didn't see anything bad but explained he wants to do this as a precautionary measure. I appreciate that very much...but doesn't make me less afraid.

alouisa63
on 4/11/16 8:12 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Exactly like me!  Because of my weight (375) he opted to go through my wrist instead of my groin. If they go in through the groin, you have to lay flat for 4 hours - the wrist I was able to get up right away.  My anxiety was off the charts that day but he told me right away that everything was fine so at least there wasn't a wait for results afterward.  I'm praying you have the same results I did 

Side note:  Sort of a surreal experience feeling the "wire" go up my arm and then seeing the monitor where it was in my heart.  I closed my eyes and didn'****ch after that! 

honeywell
on 4/11/16 8:20 am

Thank you!!!

They stated they would be going through the groin for me. I hope they change their mind. HAHAHA!!!

alouisa63
on 4/11/16 8:29 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

The reason for the 4 hour laying flat is because they put a weight on the site to stop the bleeding - like a little sand bag.  For the wrist they used a pressure bandage.  Ask if they would consider the wrist??  It never hurts to ask!   

honeywell
on 4/15/16 8:03 am

My cath went perfectly! The cardiologist said I had some of the cleanest pipes he's seen on the table.

So relieved!!!!!

alouisa63
on 4/15/16 9:33 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I've been thinking about you all week!! Awesome news!  congrats :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views