Pre-Op Recipe... Fail?

Darcy G.
on 3/27/16 2:24 pm, edited 3/27/16 2:26 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

As a testament to the insane things people will try to lose weight... I'm sharing the recipe for this afternoon's protein shake.

So before going on the official liquid diet, but since I've begun my new eating lifestyle, I always put a heaping teaspoon of instant sugar-free pudding mix into my shake so that it's thicker and stays with me longer. But? That 7g or so of sugar-free pudding mix still has a few carbs. I've been skipping it since Day 1 Pre-op diet. And my shakes have not stayed with me as long as they used to.

Last night as I was eating my orange jello... I thought: I really like chocolate and orange together. I wonder what would happen if I liquefied this jello in the Bullet... and then put chocolate protein powder in rather than with water or carbmaster milk. I bet it would stay with me longer!

Liquefied 10oz sugar-free orange jello and tossed in 1 scoop Unjury Chocolate Splendor. Pulse pulse pulse. Still too congealed, added some water. Ended up with a 16 oz shake for lunch... that tasted pretty good for maybe 4 swallows. Then something inside me went: Oh, honey, no.... And I had to force myself to finish the darned thing.

Then I was full on queasy for an hour. And another hour later, I'm still kinda iffy in the tummy department. No honking the shake back up, but.... there is a plus side? It is still with me.  I may try it again with half jello... because I'm seriously not at all hungry and people are feasting on ham that has been filling the house with the scents of yummy Eastery Goodness in the other room.

Warning to anyone foolhardy enough to try it(like this genius): It is quite slimy, which may have accounted for my general squeamishness mid-shake.

Sammy2929
on 3/27/16 2:34 pm
VSG on 05/02/16

A+ for creativity but I don't think I could drink that concoction, lol..  Whatever works right?  Happy Easter  : )

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

Darcy G.
on 3/27/16 2:42 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Hehe I wouldn't advise anyone to drink it. Maybe as the 'dare' in Truth or Dare? Or if they'd eaten poison and needed to induce vomiting. Orange Jello Protein shake to the rescue!

I'm sharing in the name of science! Or well, because when I do stupid things, I like to tell everyone. Because if you can't laugh at yourself...

I may chicken out of trying it at half volume, because even as I type this, I can feel my face screwing up in probably exactly the same face it twisted into when I was drinking the Jello-Protein-Gut-Bomb.

(Happy Easter to you too!)

nursepatty66
on 3/27/16 4:33 pm

I would have thought it would have been like one of those chocolate-oranges and christmas that you have to crack.  I bet you could try it with torani SF syrup and it would be better.

Darcy G.
on 3/27/16 5:22 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

That's what I was thinking too, flavor-wise, but my first attempt was not a success. My FiL(In Portugal) always gets these candied orange peel that's dipped in dark chocolate... and they're STUPID GOOD. Holy crap. Those oranges have nothing on those suckers he gets. I've never seen them stateside, which is probably for the best considering how much I love oranges and how much I love dark chocolate. Yeah, definitely for the best that I don't have easy access to them.

Darcy G.
on 3/27/16 5:27 pm, edited 3/27/16 10:28 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Forgot to add:

I DID try it again.

This time:

5 oz plain carbmaster milk

3 oz sugar-free orange jello

1 scoop Unjury Chocolate Splendor

Results

Flavor: Orange, but not overwhelmingly orange.

Consistency: A little bit thicker than just plain water or milks

Full feeling: Directly after drinking, I do think I feel fuller than normal, but I don't know yet if it will stay with me as long as the other one did.

Nausea: ENTIRELY MISSING

Might have turned that into a win! Will try Tuesday with strawberry jello...  I'm only really using jello's at all because I want to feel fuller longer, but lots of fruits go well with chocolate. Oh, I also have some vanillas powder. I bet jellos would be good with those too, in the right ratio.

Will know for sure if this has turned into a LunaticDarcyLand success in a couple hours if I'm still not hungry :)

Now I'm curious what crazy concoctions other people have come up with that actually turned out edible...

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 3/27/16 8:56 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

Once you get to the point you can have yogurt.. fage and chocolate splendor mixed together makes a yummy pudding type consistency treat.. i add some sf torani's syrup to it too. 

Darcy G.
on 3/28/16 8:17 am
VSG on 04/07/16

That sounds action-packed with protein! I did Fage with Instant sugar-free pudding mix, thinking 45 grams protein per serving would be much, but post op with smaller portions... GENIUS!

Thanks for reminding and recommending! Really miss my Greek yogurt...

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 3/28/16 8:52 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I really like it with sugar free smores torani syrup.. nom nom, chocolate marshmallow goodness  hehe

Darcy G.
on 3/28/16 1:54 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Really going to have to get some of that Torani syrup...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views