Constant nausea at just over 3 weeks out

LosingLola
on 3/31/16 8:52 pm

I don't know what to do with myself. I will be 4 weeks out next Tueaday and this is not going well. I am constantly nauseous, even though I am taking my anti-nausea medicine. My surgeon recently upped my PPI to a stronger med but it's not helping. I have barely eaten anything since surgery and this week haven't been able to get in any protein and am nowhere near meeting my fluid targets. I had an IV at the ER two days ago to stave off dehydration but I know that I am on-track to having to do the same again. Even plain water makes me heave, though nothing is coming up. I am waiting to hear back from my surgeon, but am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. 

Kris R.
on 4/1/16 6:06 am - Walworth, NY

So sorry your not feeling well.  I remember temperature was a big part of me feeling nausea.  I found/find if I drink anything cold, it upsets my tummy, just like anything hot - like tea.  room temp liquids worked for me.  Even Gatorade.  Find a Crystal light that you like or used to like and add it to room temp. water.  hope it works for you.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Trina R.
on 4/1/16 7:04 pm - St Louis, MO
VSG on 01/11/16

At about three weeks out, I started experiencing nausea every time I drank water. However, I was able to eat without any nausea. The only thing I've been able to drink since then is G2.  It has more carbohydrates than I would like, but has kept me out of the ER due to dehydration. It may be worth a try.

Best of luck.

Trina

LosingLola
on 4/2/16 2:34 pm

Thanks for the responses and sorry for my delay in replying. My surgeon admitted me to the hospital yesterday to get me on IV fluids. I had a CT scan to rule out any anatomical issues and they found a leak!  I haven't had pain or fevers, so they are thinking that it may have self-healed. I am on antibiotics now to clear any possible infection and will have an upper-GI done on Monday. From there, they can decide if surgical correction is needed, if radiology can drain the area, or if it should be left alone. There is a chance that I'll be going home next week with ports for food and liquids as they don't want me taking anything by mouth right now. I know my situation is probably pretty unique, but just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else is having the same issues. The surgeon said that 3 to 3-1/2 weeks is when VSG leaks seem to present, in his experience.