Sleeve vs Bypass

Brandy Novak
on 4/1/16 7:34 am, edited 4/1/16 10:24 am - North Richland Hills , TX

Hello,

Can anyone fill me in on why you chose the sleeve over bypass and if it has been successful for you? I just found out recently that my sleeve was botched and I am now trying to decide if I have it fixed or have a revision to bypass. Maybe you may know something more than me and if bypass is for more severe super obese category. I have researched but there is nothing like hearing from people who are living it everyday. Can you tell me how long ago you have had it and how much you have lost ? 

I found out that when mine was done they completely cut the wrong part of my stomach off and left me way more than they should have and it was not cut like a sleeve. I did not know there was an issue. I had just blamed myself and thought I failed. I just had my gallbladder removed and the Dr sent me for an upper GI and that is how I found out.

krupkina
on 4/1/16 8:03 am

I chose the sleeve because I was worried about long term malabsorption of vitamins.  I have known many people that have had problems later after RNY because of these issue.  Also, I didn't want to mess with my intestines....it seems like once you bother them..you keep having problems.  The sleeve has worked well for me.  I started at 220 and am currently at 137.  I would like to lose another 15-20 lbs but I am happy where I am. 

Brandy Novak
on 4/1/16 8:39 am - North Richland Hills , TX

How long ago did you have surgery? Thank you for your reply =) 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/1/16 8:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Your surgeon would be the best one to offer an opinion, given your medical history and current situation.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Theduffman27
on 4/1/16 8:52 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I was worried about malabsorption as well as dumping. Both procedures come down to personal preference. I think they both have pros and cons. Do a lot of research and base your decision on what you learn as well as input from your surgeon. I have enjoyed my journey this far. I had VSG on 11/19/14.

frisco
on 4/1/16 8:56 am

Depends how it was botched?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 4/1/16 9:16 am

Careful with revisions- they are a much, much higher risk! I just went through having a second hiatel hernia repaired, where the 1st one was repaired during the vsg. If I was not so symptomatic, I woud have never had it done due to the risk. There are not many skilled surgeons who do revisions, so be sure you carefully research who is doing the procedure. I would also encourage you to consider the DS, given the sleeve is the first step for that procedure and it additionally offers the best stats for weight loss. Perhaps they can do that without "revising" your sleeve and making it a bit safer?? 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Laura in Texas
on 4/1/16 10:58 am, edited 4/1/16 4:03 am

Was the sleeve performed incorrectly due to the damage from your band? You may be a difficult case. I would listen to my surgeon on what the best plan will be. Have you looked into the DS??

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Brandy Novak
on 4/1/16 12:41 pm - North Richland Hills , TX

No, I have heard of it but I honestly don't know too much about it. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/16 4:44 pm - CA

The best suggestion I can give you is research all of the procedures, RNY and DS, then talk to your surgeon based on your finding about which procedure you are interested in and what he thinks is best for you, given you are a revision.   

I was lucky, in 2001 the only options were Lap Band and RNY and I knew I needed RNY from the beginning.  I have never regretted it once and while I have had some regain in the last two years, I do know that I just need to buckle down and get back to basics.   The surgery, no matter which one we choose is only as good as how WE work them.  If we aren't working them properly, we won't be successful.   

Good luck, hopefully with some guidance from your surgeon and some good research you will be back on track!  :)

Nik

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views