11 days post op and feeling queasy ALL THE TIME and not getting enough protein :(

Lindseydean1992
on 4/4/16 5:42 pm

I am on stage 2 so I am able to drink full liquids but I am just always queasy and fresh out of nausea meds and not getting in enough protein because whenever I drink my shake and really anything at all I feel queasy and I need help :( Also I have been experiencing more frequent heartburn where I take tums twice every day and though my scars are feeling much better I am experiencing intestinal and stomach issues. Any suggestions?

Additional question: I'm not complaining but I lost ten pounds plus the ten pounds of fluids I had while in the hospital bed all in just 11 days. I am so proud of myself but my question is is it too much to lose in a short amount of time? I am doing as much walking as I can without overdoing it but I want to lose enough to keep it off as long as I can but not to where I will gain it all back.

karen98272
on 4/4/16 6:59 pm

Hey, there!

I'm a bit over 4 months post-op..so I know all about those first weeks.

First--your body NEEDS that protein...so find a way to get it into your system---it is essential for healing and maintaining good lean muscle tissue.

Regarding your "intestinal and stomach issues"---I'm gonna go out on a limb here...and figure that you're referring to diarrhea, as well as nausea.

Some protein powders simply don't agree with everyone...you don't mention which one(s) you're using...I had serious issues with Unjury..it caused horrific gas---and when my gut gurgled, I had mere minutes to get to a restroom before disaster struck. I learned FAST that I needed to switch protein powders. I now use Nectar, IsoPure or the old standby, Bariatric Advantage....where this all started with my pre-op liquid diet! ;)

Regarding the nausea you're having, perhaps you are eating/ sipping too fast--but all that aside, you need to call your surgeon's office and ask for a refill on the Zofran or whatever nausea med that they gave you---you need it---and they are there to help us as we recover.  Even at 4 months post-op, I pace my fluid intake @ 12 oz over 2 hours...that is the block of time I was instructed to stick to. We can no longer chug and guzzle fluids, despite needing or wanting to quench a thirst or "get the fluids in quickly and get it over with"

Regarding your weight loss, we all start out @ different starting weights, so the initial percentages that come off vary...and you're doing the right thing by walking-walking-walking!

I hope I've provided a bit of helpful information...Go easy on yourself as you recover...and call your surgeon for the nausea meds ASAP.

Lindseydean1992
on 4/5/16 6:02 pm

You were a big help, thank you. I have noticed that I am not sipping as slowly as I should.

rocky513
on 4/4/16 7:53 pm - WI

Dehydration is usually the big culprit when you feel nausea.  Your full time job right now is to stay hydrated.  You won't become protein deficient overnight.  If you don't meet the protein goals right now, don't sweat it.  Keep working towards that goal.  You'll reach it when the swelling goes down.  In the mean time, DRINK!  Fluids are the most important thing right now.  Remember 64 ounces is the MINIMUM amount required.  Many of us drink over 100 ounces daily.

As for protein powder and diarrhea; check the label and make sure there is no whey concentrate in the ingredients.  Many people become lactose intolerant after surgery and protein powder that contains whey concentrate contain lactose.  Look for a protein that is a whey isolate. They are 99% lactose free.  Symptoms of lactose intolerance are diarrhea, nausea, and excess gas.  Mix it with water, almond milk or (my favorite) cashew milk.

There is no such thing as losing weight too fast after surgery.  Use the honeymoon period to lose as much weight as you can.  Regain happens when you stop following the WLS rules.  Measure your food potions out and stop eating! Never eat until you feel full.  If you feel full, you've eaten too much.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/4/16 9:33 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It'll get easier as you get further out from surgery, concentrate on getting tha****er in, sip, sip, sip. It'll also help with the nausea, talk to your Dr maybe you can get more meds for the nausea. You might need a different ppi for the heartburn, tums might not be enough. 

Since you're fresh out of surgery the protein shakes that you drank b4 surgery might not be agreeing with you now, maybe you're allergic to anything with lactose?

I wouldn't worry about losing so much right after surgery, it's your body's way of getting rid of all the fluids & such that they gave you during surgery. Take advantage of your honeymoon period & hope you have a speedy recovery. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NYMom222
on 4/4/16 10:59 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

This is not official bariatric advice, but just what helped me... I had nausea on and off for a long time. I would bite on a white peppermint tic tac and let it melt in my mouth... the mint helped with the nausea.

Many Docs give a medicine like omeprezole/prolosec after surgery. It helps with heartburn. Are you on that type of medicine? If you tell them you are having heartburn, they might order it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Lindseydean1992
on 4/5/16 6:06 pm

Right now all I have to take is tums. It works for a short time only

LosingLola
on 4/5/16 4:50 pm

Keep a close eye on the nausea. I was good my first week out, started feeling more nauseous in the 2nd week, and by week 3 wasn't able to hold anything down. I ended up having a leak and was admitted to the hospital where I still am currently. I realize my situation is extreme but only say this to encourage you to keep in contact with your surgeon if it gets any worse.  I hope you find some relief soon!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views