Blood Thinners after surgery?

Allie16
on 4/8/16 5:35 am
VSG on 04/14/16

My surgery is scheduled for 4/14. My Dr told me that he would have me on blood thinners for a bit after surgery. I thought OK, no big deal. Then I find out its not a pill, its a SHOT! A shot that you have to give yourself. I know I'm being a big baby but this is really freaking me out. I canno****ch needles or I about pass out. Did anyone else have to do this? 

thallnc
on 4/8/16 5:54 am, edited 4/8/16 2:57 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

I didn't have to take shots before my surgery but I did get 3 shots while in the hospital after my surgery.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Dee R.
on 4/8/16 6:21 am - CA

I had to do the shots for 10 days after the surgery.  I HATE needles too.  But, I had the nurses in the hospital show me how to do it correctly.  And they let me do it myself on my last day.  It's honestly not that bad.  You'll be just fine. 

jaded123
on 4/8/16 9:02 am - MD

I had to do them for 30 days.  At first I was freaked out, thinking it would be a big deal.  But it actually wasn't.  My husband gave them to me for the first two weeks, then he had to go out of town, and I did the rest myself.  They do sting, but it's truly not horrible :)

They'll teach you how to do it in the hospital.

HW: 310 /  Lost 15 on pre-op diet  /  SW: 295  /  CW: --- /  GW: 170-175

breathemusic
on 4/8/16 9:05 am

I've had to do the Lovenox shots twice in my life.  I hate needles too and thought it was going to be a problem, but honestly, it's a really thin needle, so the stick doesn't really hurt (I don't have a high pain tolerance).  If anything, the more annoying part was that the actual liquid medication sometimes can sting/burn a little bit under the skin afterwards, though not horribly.  It helps that you are supposed to pinch an area where there is actually some fat (pinch the stomach or thighs) and inject there, and as long as you don't miss and hit your own hand, really you can look away when you do it!

If they don't ask you, definitely have them let you do the shot yourself at least once in the hospital so that you  can know you're comfortable with it before you go home.  But it's definitely not as bad as you think!

MsLoree
on 4/8/16 9:06 am
VSG on 03/17/16

They come in pill form now. I had a choice.

pr31
on 4/8/16 9:28 am

Holy cow!  I know I have to be on blood thinners for a while, but the thought never crossed my mind that it was a shot.  I have no problems with needles or getting shots (unfortunately I've had a few major surgeries in my life), but I'm not sure about giving it to myself.  Hopefully hubby will be able to do it for me.  But then again, maybe he would enjoy that to much!  I'm hoping my insurance approves the surgery and I receive a surgery date in the next few weeks.  My surgeon is already scheduling in June.  GRRRR.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/8/16 9:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had to do this twice a week for the first week post-op. I can handle needles, but I can't look while they're putting them in!

The pharmacy gave me pre-filled syringes, and the needles on them were SUPER fine. Waaaaaaay smaller than what they use to draw blood, so you hardly feel anything.

Doing the shots aren't bad at all. You grab a section of skin in your tummy, pinch it into a fold, and stick the needle into the skin. (Not muscle like with a flu shot!) Press the button and you're all done. When I did it, I put the needle in the right spot over the skin and closed my eyes when I pushed the button, LOL.

One thing to remember is that during that first week, you'll probably be on pain medication of some sort. With that in your system, the shots shouldn't feel much at all. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Allie16
on 4/8/16 10:22 am
VSG on 04/14/16

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel better hearing its not so bad. A little stinging I think I can handle. Crazy how our minds take hold of something and its all you can think about! I think i will get my husband to do it for me. I keep telling myself its just a "blip" in the whole scheme of things.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/16 1:55 pm - CA

I had open RNY in April 2001, I had heparin shots in the stomach while in the hospital.   The needle is a subcutaneous needle, so very small and you cannot feel it.  If you are scared to give yourself the shot because of pain, it really does not hurt.    

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Allie! 

~Nik