Will I need help one week after VSG???

intothesunshine
on 4/12/16 1:36 pm

hi everyone... I am scheduled to have my VSG on April 21 (yaaaa & I'm scared) but my husband is a fireman and will be gone 6 days post-op for 36 hours and we have an active toddler - - should I call for reinforcements?  or will I be OK? how were all of you feeling 6 days out? the only frame of reference I have is my C-section & 6 days out I was still in lots of pain and useless...

thank you for any tips - - also what helped you the most after?? 

Kris R.
on 4/12/16 2:01 pm - Walworth, NY

I would because you won't be able to lift and if I remember correctly, my toddlers (Now 17 and 15) loved to be lifted into the air and onto the bed and into the tub.  So if you can get the help.  Take it.  Good luck with everything.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

intothesunshine
on 4/13/16 5:46 am

WOW, you had it so long ago.  How do you feel today? any long term effects or tips??? 

Kris R.
on 4/13/16 7:11 am - Walworth, NY

Sorry, I meant, it was a long time since my kids were toddlers - I'm only 8 weeks out from surgery.  But take the help if its available.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

pdxwoman
on 4/12/16 2:02 pm
VSG on 03/21/16

Hi

In my opinion - yes.  You can't pick anything up over 10lbs. Twisting and turning can be painful at the incision site so that can be hard to do daily chores, dressing a toddler, etc. I would call for reinforcements. I just this week and I am 3 weeks out been able to pick stuff off the floor. I had to call my husband everytime I dropped something and it was more often than I thought I did..

Starry Eyed
on 4/12/16 2:08 pm, edited 4/12/16 6:42 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

I would definitely recommend getting some help since you have a little one and might be restricted to lifting a certain amount of weight (don't quote me on that though, just going by what my own nurse says).

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/12/16 2:09 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Good thoughts above about needing to pick up kids.  The hour after your husband leaves will be the time your little one gets covered in dirt, food, or something else and need a bath.  At 6 days (I'm at 4 weeks) I was touch and go.  I had some issues with dehydration on day 3-4 due to stomach spasms and then I got that in order day 4-5 but it wiped me out.  I also had a reaction to the glue they used and that was miserable and I really appreciated the help from my husband or BFF with putting the prescription cream on the incision sites.  I couldn't see the bottom two well enough to put it on myself unless I wanted to slather everything down.  So as you won't know exactly how you'll be doing because complications can happen and even though mine were minor they did have an over all effect on how I was feeling 1 week out. I was totally awake, and could do things for myself but I was happy to have my husband home to even take care of the dog much less a small kiddo. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Mistydidit
on 4/12/16 3:12 pm
VSG on 04/08/16

I am 4 days out from Vsg And doing ok in my own. I had help day after and the following but I'm a very independent person so I think it's up to you. I would have someone on call just in case. The pain isn't that bad. It's honestly like cramping but drinking is definitely different than what I thought. Just GO SLOW! You will understand why when you get out if surgery. My prayers will be with you! You will do great! 

sheriberi29
on 4/13/16 12:04 pm - Cleveland, TN

Do you have a child to pick up ? I'm curious if I'll be ok on my own as well but have 2 yEar old twins that weigh 30 lbs each

michellemj
on 4/12/16 3:52 pm

Given your toddler, I'd call for some reinforcements or give him a nice vaca at the grandparents. :)

I lived alone postVSG and I didn't need (or want) anyone around. I did board my dog for a few extra days so I could sleep without worry, but then he was really helpful for those short walks about 3 days postOp.

Haven't had a Csection, but I think the pain should be a lot less. It's 5 tiny incisions instead of a trans abdominal cut.

Make sure you are walking and sipping often, rule of thumb with liquids is 1oz every 15 min. And some folks like a heating pad to help with trapped gas.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views