6 mos out. Had to revise to bypass

Laura R.
on 4/14/16 1:11 pm

Hi guys,

I had my surgery on 10-5-15. 

I have lost 72 lbs. Recently I went into see my sugeon because I was having some chest pain and a pain under my left ribs. He sent me for CT scan. It turned out the hiadial hernia that I had fixed during my sleeve surgery, appeared again. This time it was much worse. My sleeve creeped up through my diaphragm And half of it is sitting in my chest next to my esophagus. So we decided on surgery and I was admitted yesterday so he could correct it. Well once he got in there he realized that there was too many adhesions that were attaching it to my lung and heart! So to make a long story short, I had to revise my surgery to a bypass. It's done as of yesterday  and I am scared about having to deal with all of this again. Has anyone had this revision and if so, can you share your experience? What was recovery like, differences between the two surgeries? 

Thanks in advance, 

Laura 

emelar
on 4/14/16 1:29 pm - TX

Sorry there wasn't a simple fix to your problem.  You'll probably get more responses to your question on the RNY board, 'cause that's where people *****vise to the RNY go.  My opinion is that your recovery is going to be about the same as it was for the sleeve.

Best of luck to you and happy healing!

happyteacher
on 4/14/16 8:03 pm

Hi Laura,

Sorry to read about the revision, but it may be a blessing in disguise. I also had a hiatel hernia repaired with the vsg, only for it to come back with a vengence and far worse. I went in to have it repaired this past December, and the doc too warned me of the possibility of the revision. No revision, but 3 months later i suspect I am again having an issue. Next step would be revision. So, extra surgery should it lead to that. The Rny folks overall appreciate and love their surgery as much as the Vsg folks do. It will take some time to adjust, hang in there. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active