Day 4 post surgery

BankerBethany
on 4/15/16 7:27 am
VSG on 04/11/16

Hello! As you can tell I have completed my surgery on Monday and am now working on my post op plan which is full liquids for two weeks. Today is day four, not counting surgery day because I was only allowed ice chips that day, and the first day that I was able to get some nourishment in me. In the first three days I pushed hard against my nausea to try to get as much water as possible. Even water made me nausea at times. I just finished my first protein shake and am practicing my deep breathing and walk so that this nausea will subside. My pain is under control with Tylenol during the day and pain meds at night. My question is how long did the constant nausea stick around for those who are farther out then me? My biggest fear is throwing up and damaging my new stomach!

Thanks All for you advice!

bankerbethany

White Dove
on 4/15/16 7:33 am - Warren, OH

I never had any nausea.  Call your surgeon and get medicine for it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kris R.
on 4/15/16 7:48 am - Walworth, NY

Call your doctor for a script and avoid cold things.  Cold makes the blood vessels constrict and can cause nausea.  I'm 8 weeks out and still have it first thing in the morning if I drink cold water.  As the day goes on, the water can get colder, but I still do better with room temp. Hang in there - and keep sipping.  

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Penny78213
on 4/15/16 9:48 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 12/28/15

My surgery was 2/3/16, not all that long ago.  I had no nausea until the 4th week when I was finally allowed to eat something other than cream soups or broth and it did not last long.  I am very happy my doctor has his patients hold off on protein shakes or other food until the fourth week. I think it helped my stomach heal faster.  When I eat something that creates nausea I go back to week 2 & 3 of my post surgery eating plan as the cream soups have not caused me any issues.  I could be wrong but I feel that I am giving my stomach time to adjust and feel better before I eat something more solid that may not agree with it.  But, I understand they have some really good meds for nausea if you call your doctor.

Hope it gets easier for you real soon.

Penny

yesican2
on 4/15/16 1:30 pm

I had a short but of nausea in the middle of the night the first two nights.  But re: throwing up and damaging you're sleeve...you're not going to do that, at least from what we were told.  My husband had the VSG a month before I did.  He was extremely nauseous coming right out of recovery and was afraid he would do damage if he threw up.  The nurse said he would have to be throwing up significantly for a long period of time before that would happen. 

But I agree with the others.  Contact your surgeon.

decavo
on 4/17/16 4:04 pm
VSG on 04/04/16

i WAS SICK FOR 4 DAYS... gagging and throwing up nothing....... TRY TO GET SOME OF YOUR PROTEIN DRINKS DOWN... (dang caps lock) Once i was able to get the protein down i felt so much better...  And WALK WALK WALK.. belch and fart as much as possible.... 

BankerBethany
on 4/17/16 6:41 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

Today has been a huge turning point in my recovery! I feel so good today that I've had to remind myself many times that I had surgery less then a week ago! I'm not ready to run any races but my walking is on point, I've been getting my liquids down and even have about 600 calories for the day! So excited to feel like myself again and start this road to a whole new me! The nausea has been gone for over 24 hours!!!

Most Active