5 days out and everything tastes too sweet

Allie16
on 4/19/16 6:51 pm
VSG on 04/14/16

5 days post-op and today has been so hard. Not regretting my decision or anything, just cannot stand all these artificial sweet things and the after taste everything seems to have. Literally choking it down. Trying really hard to keep up with the fluid intake so I don't get dehydrated. Anyone else have this after surgery? I just want the plain old water and look forward to my broth everyday, but I know that I need to get in more protein. Suggestions? Or just suck it up?

Bufflehead
on 4/19/16 7:03 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Unjury chicken soup protein was my savior in those early days.

Also, I made beef broth and added unflavored protein powder and steak seasoning.

The trick with both of those is to use warm water, NOT hot. Or the protein will clump and be disgusting.

I also liked the HealthSmart soups you can buy from Nashua Nutrition and some other online stores. I didn't use the "pasta" ones (not permitted under my plan) but I did cream of tomato and cream of mushroom pretty frequently. These you can make as hot as you want as long as they aren't actually boiling. They are 100 calories and 14 grams of protein per serving -- not the most protein, but certainly more than you would get from just plain broth or soup.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-soups/

Diet cran-lemonade juice (5 calories per serving) with Syntrax Nectar roadside lemonade protein powder was good too -- it isn't savory, but the tartness of the juice and the lemonade protein powder really cut the sweetness a lot.