Customer conference and eating

Wildagain2016
on 4/25/16 10:14 pm
VSG on 01/25/16

hi all- I am 3 months post op and have lost 60 lbs (15 of that was pre-surgery).  I'm at about 70 protein and 70 oz liquid, 600-800 calories per day.  I have trashed knees so no exercise....but I hope to add some as my knees hurt less now.  Here is my question:  I am attending a week long customer conference where I will be having nearly all my meals while meeting with customers.  I have found when I've gone to lunch with friends that I don't pay close enough attention to small bites/chew lots/stop when close to full.  So I am thinking that I will eat only protein bars for my meals (half an hour before) and only drin****d tea at the table while my customers are eating.  That way I can talk and not worry about getting sick from eating too much/big bites/not chewing.  Any thoughts on that plan?  I usually only supplement with protein bars if I need more protein and have calories left.  So eating almost all bars sounds radical. I am open to alternatives!  Thanks!  

frisco
on 4/26/16 1:53 am

First, congrats on the WL so far....... Great !

Second, big props to you for "recognizing".......

The short answer is "Do what you have to do"...... you control the situation, the situation does not control you !!!!

You are a few months away from the new normals becoming a regular thing and being second nature.

The key is to portion your food and not eat till full. Portion the food that goes on your plate or portion the food that comes on your plate.

Once your food is portioned you only have to think of one thing..... the speed, eat slow and slower as you go.

After a while you will be able to tell across the room if the portion is correct, my friends I eat with can tell what a proper portion looks like for me.

Keep up the great work !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Wildagain2016
on 4/26/16 5:56 am
VSG on 01/25/16

Thanks, Frisco- excellent points!  I can still only eat about 2 oz of dense protein at one time.  And I'm not eating any vegetables (which I'm thinking I need to figure out how to introduce as it seems without veggies I might be malnourished?  I do take my Bariatric vitamins.  But I have moments of brain fog and tiredness mid afternoon.  From your comments...easy to do when a buffet....just choose wisely and ake only the 2 oz portion.  If served the typical meal....separate my portion from the rest right on the plate....and eat only my portion.  I can do that!  Thanks for the help!  

frisco
on 4/26/16 8:41 am

Only a doctor can tell you if your malnourished, that said.... my opinion is that if you have excess body fat and your taking a multi vitamin supplement you can't be malnourished.

You can however be nutrient deficient in areas and blood work is the only way to check that. Working with your doctor and RD is the way to stay on top of that.

I think it was after the 6 month mark I added veggie only snacks to my diet and still sometimes do that almost 7 years out.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/26/16 8:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

One thing that helps me is to physically portion out food. If you order a chicken breast, cut off about 1/3 of it, push the rest to the side of the plate, and eat only the smaller piece. Cut off several tiny bites at a time. Eat one, then put your fork down. Repeat!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Wildagain2016
on 5/21/16 9:41 pm
VSG on 01/25/16

I wanted to follow up on this topic- I discovered that at a conference and probably everywhere else ....nobody gives a rat's patootie what you eat!  No body noticed or cared if I ate or drank or just talked.  It was awesome.  I lost 5 lbs in the week I was away from home (all the walking, I am guessing).  I controlled the situation and kept my calories, protein and liquid at decent levels and took my vitamins and walked 6000 steps per day (which is good for...bad knees).  All went well. Thanks!