Diarrhea post-op?

Cherie K.
on 5/8/16 8:28 pm - Hong Kong

I am 4 days post-op (still only drinking clear liquids: water, broth) and suddenly I have diarrhea this morning?!?! From what? I'm not eating anything. Has anyone else experienced this?

ksflwr
on 5/9/16 4:22 am

It's normal.  I just took liquid Imodium and it took care of the problem.  The nurse explained to me that it was because I was only getting liquids and it will pass after the first week.

Lemily
on 5/9/16 6:41 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Just for a future FYI - (not to be graphic or TMI) - before surgery would go 1-2 times regular bowel movements each day. Post surgery and even over two years out, I go maybe 1-2x per week. it is normal. You are eating less and therefore have less waste. Not saying its going to happen to you because everyone is different. But I had thought something was wrong, and it wasn't. Just gets uncomfortable here and there so I always have some miralax on hand to cope with the uncomfortableness until I get back on track. Just thought I would share :) Good luck to you!

Sammy2929
on 5/9/16 8:49 am
VSG on 05/02/16

mine lasted  3 1/2 days.  I just let it play out because #1, it took care of the gasses in my stomach and #2 I hear you will get bound up from all the protein so I though awesome, cleaning myself out before the other took over, hahahaha

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

Darcy G.
on 5/9/16 11:01 am
VSG on 04/07/16

I'm going to be the contrarian here...

I tried to follow the "This is normal" mind on post-op Day 3 when my diarrhea began, but it was C.diff, not normal liquids-in/liquids-out issues. Tell your surgeon if the diarrhea lasts into tomorrow.

Other possible symptoms:

• Pain in the colon to rival surgery areas
  • Feeling progressively worse, not better...

Whether or not you have any sort of fever... Get to a doctor/urgent care/ER if you have more symptoms.

Hoping it's the normal liquids-in/liquids-out thing. I just can't not say anything when I would've had a better time had I made a bigger fuss while trying not to be a complainy-whiner patient!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!