So my back sucks ...

JTMGPW
on 5/8/16 9:54 pm

Anyone ever have serious back problems pop up just before surgery? How did you handle it with back problems and surgery? I'm scheduled for the sleeve on Thursday. I honestly thought at this point I would be elated to finally get to this point - it's taken me 2.5yrs to get here thanks to insurance hiccups :/. But instead of feeling relief or triumph, I'm so incredibly scared. It's not just about the surgery (will I wake up? Will I have horrible complications?). It's also some back problems that popped up :/.  Last Saturday, a week ago, my legs went numb. went to the spinal dr and got an MRI done. They were afraid of cauda equina syndrome, but MRI didn't show that (though I have all the symptoms except bladder/bowel issues). Walking is awkward due to the numbness, any slight pressure on my feet feels like I might as well have 50lbs and fire on them. I can't take any NSAIDs or steroidal shots to help the inflammation in my spinal canal pressing on the nerves causing the numbness & I just have to live with this until I'm healed enough to start taking NSAIDs. Another surgery is in my future to fix my back now. Honestly it's such a mess. I called my baristric in surgeon and his assistant has been blocking me from talking to him about this, telling me she will address it with him when I find out from the spinal dr if my back is a priority. WTF. Makes me feel like I'm in limbo to boot. Spinal dr is supposed to fax baristric dr my MRI results, guess I'll find out Monday morning if it happened yet :/. Gah. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/9/16 12:14 am

NSAIDS are not recommended after any WLS surgery.  

I know my back issue got bit better after i lost the weight... but they are not 100% better...

When I gained 20 lbs - my back pain got worse... My doc told me to lose the weight... I have 2-3 lbs I am still working on... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

katblue
on 5/9/16 5:26 am
VSG on 04/06/16

I can't imagine how frustrated you must be feeling - to make it all this way and then have this happen!  And when your back hurts, it affects every move you make.  I just had my surgery April 6 (2016) Actually I had back pain begin 2 days after surgery - I thought it was trapped gas in my upper cavity.  I will say my Dr didn't seem terribly interested in addressing my back pain.  But when the pain didn't go away after a couple weeks, it was time to take action.  I have been going to the chiropractor for several weeks now and the pain is all but gone.  I didn't have any numbness issues - that sounds far more serious!!  I agree that NSAIDs are not an option after surgery.  As frustrating as it is, it sounds like you need to make sure your back isn't a "major" issue before you can proceed.  Sounds like good advice.  If they say it isn't a "major" issue, I personally would get to a good chiropractor.  

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

JTMGPW
on 5/11/16 12:04 pm

Update on this situation -

They prescribed PT and I've had two sessions since then. The numbness has reduced a little and i'm getting some relief, thankfully. Lots of rest and lots of ice, lots of teenie-tiny movement exercises to get my spine in motion.

So on with the show ... Tomorrow's my surgery. I'm so nervous :/.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views