Hair loss???

BREE_
on 5/10/16 5:32 pm
VSG on 03/21/16

i had my surgery 3/21 I'm almost 3 weeks post op and I just now started to experience hair loss it's not chunks of hair but it's enough that I have to clean my shower drain because the water starts to arise! It's scary and I know pple say its temporary but everytime I wash my hair which is every 2-3 days I see so much hair it freaks me out!! I'm also taking biotin to help I started that a while back but I don't think it's helping! Any edvice on how to minimize it a bit Atleast?   

Rai
on 5/10/16 8:53 pm - NY
VSG on 05/04/16

I started losing hair in January from vitamin and protein deficiency because I wasn't able to eat. I'm bulking up on the protein, and praying for good results.

Modifying my sexy!            
Sandra F.
on 5/11/16 6:08 am

From reading many posts on here regarding hair loss, I don't think there is much you can do about it.  It does occur and I had it months 3-8.  My hair is back to normal now, but it is scary when it is happening. 

CMR1075
on 5/11/16 6:53 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I'm going through the same. It just started like 2 weeks ago, I'm almost 4 months post op. Seems I read the same and there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. I emailed my NUT yesterday and asked if there was something I could do and she recommended different supplements and told me to make sure I was eating enough lean proteins a day. She also told me to get my thyroid levels checked which I never had an issue with before, but hey - she's the expert lol. If this all fails I'll be wearing big headband to cover the top of my head till it grows back 

CMR1075
on 5/11/16 7:12 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I thought I would just share one of the emails that my NUT replied with after she asked me to give her a detailed list of the foods and vitamins I was taking. Hope this helps for some :)

She wrote:

Yikes! Ok...you need B vitamins.... Stat! In your binder are the B Complex formulas recommended. I recommend the Bariatric Advantage B-50 asap. You can get it from their website, amazon or the clinic. ALSO.....Journey Bariatric Hair Balance. Also from the clinic or frombariatriceating.com

Stop the Adkins and Muscle Milk asap. Grab Orgain ready to drink whey or Premiere Protein ready to drink when you need to use them.   Omega 3's asap! Check out your binder.   Probiotics asap! Check out your binder. All of these nutrients are needed to ensure hair growth and health.   I hope this helps!   PS....EXCELLENT choices with food and snacks:-)     _______   I was drinking the Adkins and Muscle Milk 100 premade shakes on days I didn't have time to make one....apparently no good from the sound of what she wrote. 
Kris R.
on 5/11/16 7:11 am - Walworth, NY

I'm having the same issue - I'm 3months out and bamb, the last week has been horrid - I have a lot of hair and it is a good thing or I would have spots showing.  It reminded me to make sure I'm getting in all my protein, I think i've been short a few days.  going to hit the 70 to 80 mark for the next few weeks, see if it helps.  adding an additional shake if i need to.  

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

LosinginAZ
on 5/11/16 11:38 am

I am almost at 4 months and have recently noticed the hair loss. Everytime I brush my hair and wa**** I lose a bunch. It is very disheartening :( I get in about 90 grams of protein a day on average, so I do not think that matters. My doctor recommended rogaine, but he is bald, so.... :P I guess we just have to stop looking at our heads, and look at our new skinnier bodies ;) 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/11/16 1:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Biotin MIGHT help hair grow faster, but there's not a lot of science to support it. It won't do a darn thing to keep it from falling out.

The hair loss we experience after WLS is called "Telogen Effluvium" and Google can give you some basic information. There's really no way to prevent it or slow it. Vitamins, hairbrushes, shampoo, all of it is completely pointless. Rogain won't do jack either as it treats different types of hair loss that are completely unrelated.

Best thing you can do is to disguise it. Lots of people opt for shorter haircuts. I had some noticeable patches when I kept my hair in a short pixie, so I used hair fiber powder (check Amazon) to fill in, and even dark eyeshadow on my scalp a few times.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

oneearth
on 5/15/16 10:15 pm

I experienced this as well. Now I have short hair, cute now that my face is thinner. I hated seeing my hairbrush full of hair though.

Valerie G.
on 5/15/16 6:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sparklekitty nailed it.  Telogen Effluvium cannot be decreased or controlled.  It's your growth cycle rebooting and any vitamins will benefit only the new growth that is presently pushing out the old.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes