Early Capacity/Post Op Swelling

P goode
on 5/14/16 9:43 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

It's post op day 3.  What was each of your experiences with capacity? When did the swelling subside for you and how much liquid could you manage early on? Today for me it seems to be 1/4-1/2 c of liquid then it feels like it will literally overflow- the amounts of liquids in the post open protocol from my surgeon are impossible for me.

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

White Dove
on 5/14/16 10:09 am - Warren, OH

Try an 1/8 cup every 15 minutes.  I used shot glasses for whiskey.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Anne85
on 5/14/16 3:41 pm

I'm now 10 days post-op. My program has me drinking 1 ounce- the size of a shot glass- slowly over every 15 mins until eventually I get 40 oz in. The first few days I was lucky to get in 20 ounces. But now I can handle 1 ounce every 7 minutes and I'm getting in 50 oz a day. I've found my sleeve can now hold more, and it will keep getting better with time as the swelling goes down. It prob is different for everyone. It helps to just sip liquids very slowly all day- like 8 hours- to make sure you are getting your fluids in. We'll be back to drinking normally soon! We just gotta take it easy for now while we get used to everything. 

JTMGPW
on 5/14/16 4:41 pm

Gosh, I'm glad you posted this. I hopped on to literally ask the same question and the advice is good to read. I'm on day 2, can barely sip anything down w/o feeling sharp pains. I've had maybe 10oz of water, 1oz of coffee and 1/2oz of ensure - THE WHOLE DAY. The ensure hurt SO bad I won't try for another few days :/. 

P goode
on 5/14/16 5:24 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

Ann- I wish my surgeon had been that specific for me! I was stressing cause day 2&3 the plan they gave me has like 1 cup broth and cup of jello for breakfast, snack 1scoop protein powder, lunch a cup of broth or juice, etc till there are like 10 cups fluid! That is absolutely ridiculous from all I have read about on here. I'm hoping to get to 4 cups of anything total by midnight! What they verbally told me was don't worry antiterrorism at first and drink as much fluid as you can. That was about it. You on full liquids yet?

J- I didn't even attempt protein shake till today - about 2 hrs ago. In 30 minutes I managed 2oz and felt good about that. Day 3 has been lots better than 1 and 2. I still have occasional diaphragm spasms I would call hiccups and they hurt. Sharp pains are better today but were awful till I got some acid reducer on board yesterday. Just keep doing the skin pinch test for dehydration on the back of your wrist

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Darcy G.
on 5/14/16 10:04 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

It took me ages to get to where I could get in enough water, even when that was all I was drinking. There were extenuating cir****tances with me, but for a couple weeks, I did what I could with protein (2oz shake per day...) and the rest of the time I just tried like heck to hit 40oz fluids... Usually iced tea because Rupert is still refusing to accept plain water...

Apparently, since I never had kids to behave just like me, circumventing Mom's old curse, Rupert is a complete brat instead.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Rai
on 5/16/16 4:50 am - NY
VSG on 05/04/16

I had my procedure on 5/4 and I'm back to work already. It takes 10 hours for me to consume 36 ounces of fluids. I literally sip all damn day. LOL!!

Modifying my sexy!            
Giggles7840
on 5/22/16 12:07 pm
VSG on 05/19/16

I had my surgery on Thursday  and it's Sunday now. I'm having a very hard time getting liquids and pills down. It's an all day process. I was just able to drink 1.5 oz of my protein drink. Also everything tastes like salt. That just makes everything more disgusting. I've also developed a upper respiratory infection which is making things even more difficult. The pain when swallowing and feeling it trying to run through creates a chest pain very similar to what the lapbamd would do when things would get stuck. I've been told repeatedly that this will feel nothing like lapband and here I am feeling like I have lapband again. They keep saying it's the swelling and will get better...  I'm just so frustrated and upset and I don't know what to do. I just want to cry. Warm water does seem to help cut through the mucus that is accumulating iny stomach so I guess that's something.... time for more nebulizers...

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 4 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 4 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views