10 days Post-op - I'm Dying!!!

Cherie K.
on 5/15/16 3:20 am - Hong Kong

I cannot get all of the liquids in... I take 2 very tiny sips and feel tightness from shoulder to shoulder across my chest.  I've tried crystal light... too sweet so watered it down (that was a bit better), the protein shakes are getting a bit gagged down but over a very long period of time to finish one (super watered down) and the protein soup packets that my dietitian gave me are going down the best but still super watered down... I know that the surgeon and dietitian said the first 2 weeks are the most difficult but I sure wish my husband would stop bringing home pizza or chicken nuggets for the kids for dinner!  Do I really need to smell that when I am filled up on 2 sips of water?!?!?

Plus my energy level is soooo low; I need a nap with my 2 year old mid-day!

Is there anyone out there about 3 weeks or more along that would let me know the food/liquid situation will get better?  I am so thirsty and just want to chug an entire bottle of water down!

PUGGLESPUPS
on 5/15/16 7:34 am - MA

I find that hot fluids area much easier to get in, try hot decaf tea.  and just sip , sip,  small sips.. I know the pain your talking about, it will subside .  hang in there.

cappy11448
on 5/15/16 9:53 am

Hang in there.  it'll get better. 

My sleeve was so swollen that I could only get a few sips down at a time at first.  When I started solid foods I could only eat an ounce to 1.5 ounces per meal until the 8th week when the swelling went down. 

I'd suggest checking with your doctor on the discomfort, just in case its something more serious. 

My new tummy would not tolerate anything sweet at first, so I had to rely on Chicken Broth with protein powder for my protein.  When I got to full liquids, I'd add protein powder to anything I could stir - yogurt, sugar-free jello, sugar-free, fat-free puddings, cream of veggie soup, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, etc.  So I was able to get my protein in, but the water was harder.

Just do the best you can.  I anguished about not being able to get my 64 ounces of liquid in each day.  I was only getting about 40 in at first. But I watched for symptoms of dehydration and just did the best I could, and I was fine.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey.  I found the period you are in now to be difficult, but it does get better.  And you'll love the results when you are healed and your tummy starts functioning more normally.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

luvmypuggies
on 5/15/16 11:40 am

Your energy level will be low for quite a while (weeks), so don't be surprised if you take naps frequently.  Your body has been through major surgery and it takes time to recover, so be gentle with yourself.

Regarding your husband bringing pizza and nuggets home, that doesn't sound very supportive at all!  Can you maybe have a conversation with him?  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that maybe he doesn't realize how difficult it makes it for you when food like that is around. If he's in charge of feeding the kidlets, then I understand how those are the easiest things to do, but it would be nice if he was more sensitive to your situation! Can you suggest other things for him to bring or make?

Keep sipping, all day long. It will help with your energy if you're getting sufficient fluids.

Good luck!!:)