My Aching Back

Cherie K.
on 5/18/16 2:09 am - Hong Kong

Has anyone experienced a very sore back in the first couple weeks post-op?  After standing for 5-10 minutes my back will be so sore that I have to sit down but then after I am sitting for 5-10 minutes, same thing... I like to sleep on my back but I find myself tossing and turning all night because I can only stand a short amount of time in each position before my back is uncomfortable:(

White Dove
on 5/18/16 2:35 am - Warren, OH

Put Biofreeze on your back at night before bed.  Use as needed during the day.  It now comes in a great applicator that sprays on and is easy to use on your own.

I also use a heating pad to deal with back pain.

The pain is caused by lying on the operating table.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cherie K.
on 5/18/16 2:54 am - Hong Kong

So, will it go away in a few weeks?  Where would I buy Biofreeze?  Is it like tiger balm or ben-gay?

White Dove
on 5/18/16 6:15 am - Warren, OH

I buy it off of Amazon.  You can also ask your pharmacist.  It is not prescription but often kept behind the counter in the pharmacy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

katblue
on 5/18/16 6:09 am
VSG on 04/06/16

My aching upper back (right about brastrap) was the biggest issue I had after surgery - noticed it 2 days post VSG.   I thought it was gas trapped in my upper body cavity.  Several weeks later and still in pain, I went to my doc and had an xray - thought it might be a compression fracture.  Once I knew that wasn't the issue, I started going to a chiropractor and that has helped tremendously.  I've probably been 5 times and will go for another 1 or 2 visits - much much better now!  Heat helped me and not staying in one position for any length of time.  I recommend finding a good chiropractor.

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

JTMGPW
on 5/19/16 7:04 am

I've had an ache since surgery, in my mid-right side of my back. at first it was constant while in hospital so I asked the Dr if he thought it was liver or kidney issue and he said that I will definitely be sore for a little while but not to worry at all unless I show any symptoms of either. My ache does intensify with activity, and particularly poor posture, so I think it is muscular in issue mostly for me. Remember, they do push your stomach muscles aside and some other organs aside to do the surgery. They are bound to be mad and sore :P. I've been walking around w/a pillow the first five days, and started yesterday w/o it. At this point, day 7, it comes and goes and is not constant anymore. 

But regardless, give your nurse or Dr a call and ask her if it's anything you need to worry about. It will put your mind at ease the quickest :).

Most Active