How much can I drink at a time?

Jojo7l7
on 5/18/16 4:17 pm
VSG on 04/28/16

Hi I have a question I will be three weeks tomorrow that I had surgery..I started drinking 1oz every 15 min ..Now I just drink every few min is that ok? I never feel like I am full when I drink . It's the only way I can try to get all fluids in I haven't been able to drink 64oz yet a day since surgery. I have know energy today.

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/16 7:15 pm

Sip all day long. that's the way to do i****er will go right through your sleeve so now worries there. 

My goal early out was 2 oz every 15 minutes. I didn't always make it, but from the get go (post op day 2) by adhering to that one rule I always got 64 oz of water in - even when it was hard. Make it your job and it'll get done. 

karen98272
on 5/24/16 2:43 pm

I was coached to take in 12-14 oz over a 2 hour period immediately post-op...and I am able to manage 14-16 oz in 2 hours 6 months out.

Immediately post-op, the nurses caring for me brought in a stack of plastic medication cups that hold 2 oz...and had me drink 2 oz every 15 minutes. Sipping out of plastic med cups isn't practical @ work, and in social settings..so I quickly found that 2 oz = 3 of my 'normal sips'...so It's "1 sip-2 sips- 3 sips"...all day long, separating fluid cycles and meals like I was taught to do by my Nutritionist...and it becomes second nature with time and practice.

I have 2 "Blender bottles" that I use daily...a 28-oz one (which holds 2 fluid cycles for me) and a 14 oz one that I use for my protein shakes.   * Over the past 6 months, I have definitely learned that I'm a 'flavored water girl'...and I bought myself 2 FABULOUS infusers from Pampered Chef. They're made of silicone...wash up easily...and are unbreakable...unlike the 4 expensive infuser bottles I bought off Amazon and from stores...and they fit inside my Blender bottle.

Keeping my fluid intake paced/ visibly measured like that makes it "completely do-able" --Being able to look at the measurement levels keeps me in control of things, too--I always know where I am with my intake...and I also keep fluids @ the bedside for sipping throughout the night...as every little bit keeps me on track & adequately hydrated.

Staying hydrated also helps prevent constipation...and learning to manage your fluids early on helps YOU manage your health "in the unfortunate event" of getting diarrhea or a stomach virus.

Case in point: I've been a nurse for 25 years...so I "know what I need to do"...Last week, I got sick @ work (diarrhea) and the nausea was so bad, I left work early in the day. I took some nausea meds---which prompted a nap on the couch for 4 hours---when I woke up, I was weak as a kitten from being depleted from the diarrhea...and from ZERO fluid intake those 4 hours I was asleep. I panicked...thinking I would end up @ the hospital for IV fluids...so I had to get on top of it..and get those fluids replaced and get back on track.

Every cup/glass I drink from has measurements on it. I food/ fluid log (and likely will for the rest of my life, to hold myself accountable)..and this makes it easy to keep track of things, too.

It gets easier with time...once you find a routine and supplies that work for you (bottles, containers, yadda-yadda)...My bottles are now a part of me...just like a jogger and their favorite shoes, or a power-walker and their iPod!   (I have those, too...LOL)

Best of luck to you getting a system down that works for you! Hope that I provided some helpful info to make this journey a bit easier for you as you learn the ropes of it all ;)