Carbs vs Sugars

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/19/16 12:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'd say to just ignore it. Mine is set up for calories, protein, and carbs, that's it!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/16 12:56 pm

carbs are carbs. sugars are carbs. count total carbs. sugar is always included in that TOTAL carb count.

LosinginAZ
on 5/19/16 1:40 pm

But net carbs are so much nicer!! 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 5:46 am

Most net carbs are a marketing trick to makes us think better about heavily process junk food Some companies wants us to buy. 

But - in reality - most endocrinologist would tell a diabetic person to count ALL carbs... Not net carbs..specially if they need insulin.  If you are diabetic - requiring insulin - it means your body is going to release it to a dress any carbs. 

The "net carbs" fooled a lot of us into thinking some foods are "miracle" foods. Only to find out we can't lose weight or maintain when we believe them.  Been there - done that. Learned my lesson. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Bufflehead
on 5/19/16 1:49 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I just deleted sugars from my tracked macros. I keep within my carb limits and sugars are pretty much irrelevant to me.

Donna L.
on 5/19/16 4:39 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't bother tracking sugars individually.  All carbs basically convert to glucose, anyway.  That sounds like a weird bug, though.  I'd email them.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Darcy G.
on 5/19/16 11:17 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Yeah...think I will email! If it triggered confusion in me, someone else will be confused too.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 5:53 am

Not all carbs get converted into glucose. Fructose is a carb. So are sugar alcohols.  And some fiber is truly just fiber - filler.. 

Some carbs can be converted to... alcohol in our body. (extreme situation with yeast infection)...

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 5/20/16 2:33 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Part of fructose is almost always converted to glucose and the rest to triglycerides.  

Sugar alcohols are weird.  They are carbs, but they don't work like carbohydrate in the body always.  There isn't nearly enough research on their mechanisms of action.  Studies are a bit conflicted; some indicated that the gut flora still digested the majority of alcohols, which might suggest a more minimal benefit than people ascribe to them.  They still affect blood glucose levels, though the effect is routinely negligible.  It depends on the person and the SAs.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 3:16 pm

yeap..... 

"Part of fructose is almost always converted to glucose and the rest to triglycerides.  "

that part can be 20, 30or 60%.. or none...