Carbs vs Sugars

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/19/16 6:39 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

A nutritionist might be able to give you a better answer, but as Kairk mentioned sugar is included in the carb count, fiber is in it too, if there is any. There are foods that have a lot of carbs but not a lot of sugar in it but in the end it's converted to give you quick energy.

Read more labels & you'll see what I'm talking about.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Darcy G.
on 5/19/16 11:15 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I read every label, no matter what. I see low sugars and high carbs all the time, but not the reverse. I do think it's a bug... But it's a bug that triggers confusion and doubt!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/16 5:29 am

This is a conversation I will be having with my nutritionist when I see him next month.  I have the same issue because I eat lots of vegetables and usually an apple a day.  In the summer, I tend to eat melons, berries, etc. and when you log those things into MFP it makes the carb content go up but it doesn't differentiate between them.  I don't know if there is another tool I can use to log my stuff or if I have to somehow start doing the math on my own, but I figured my nutritionist would know.  I know healthy carbs are okay within my daily limit and I stay away from bad carbs (unless I have a moment!).  I don't think it's a glitch.  I think it's something that MFP has not incorporated into their system and I really wish they would!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 6:10 am

MFP - allows to set up carbs goals separetly from sugar goals. 

The carbs are calculated based on % of total calories, while sugars are a set number. 

You can go to main website (not the app) of the MFP and change that. On the website I was able to chose fiber to be shown under the carbs.  It helps me to analyze my nutrition better. 

I don't mind some carbs but I do want to limit my sugars. So I set up my carbs to 60..but my sugars to 15 gr.. 

It is good for me to see the sugars... Becasue a yogurt may have low carbs overall - but if all of them are Sugar - that will show on my MFP... 

BTW: unfortunately- fruits have a lot of sugars- so even though they may be better for us than bag of candies - they are still sugar.  If they don't affect your weight loss or cravings - go ahead - enjoy.  But..if you start seeing weight gain or more cravings - you may need to change things.  

FYI - I am very.sensitive to sugars, but I found out that my body tolerates most berries quite well...even in larger qties. But some other fruits can really affect me. I.e. banana, grapes, pineapple, pears, melons..etc.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/16 6:45 am

Yes I need to explore more with the fiber thing; I think I tried doing it a few times before and I couldn't figure it out!  Thank you!!!  Also, I only eat an apple a day before my workouts to give me some carbs beforehand.  I need the energy so I can blow 'em out of the water :)  In the summer I do have more of those fresh summertime fruits but I am also way more active.  I get to workout literally every day, my kids and I have season passes to our local amusement park so I walk a billion steps, etc.  It balances out :)  You are definitely right on the fruits and sugars thing though...I can't eat a darn banana anymore to save my life!!!  They make me soooooo sick.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 6:02 am

MFP - allows to set up carbs goals separetly from sugar goals. 

The carbs are calculated based on % of total calories, while sugars are a set number. 

You can go to main website (not the app) of the MFP and change that. On the website I was able to chose fiber to be shown under the carbs.  It helps me to analyze my nutrition better. 

I don't mind some carbs but I do want to limit my sugars. So I set up my carbs to 60..but my sugars to 15 gr.. 

It is good for me to see the sugars... Becasue a yogurt may have low carbs overall - but if all of them are Sugar - that will show on my MFP... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."