How have your taste buds changed since having a VSG?

LeapSecond
on 5/23/16 6:37 am - AR

I have had taste, cravings, fixation on nuts and caramel coffee yogurt.  It is weird.  Didn't happen all at once and it was about a year post op.  Nothing sounds good. Except nuts and caramel coffee yogurt.  I have been off of it for 10 days and ate it last night.  It is my transfer addiction.

Smells are more intense, but I have always had a good nose.  

Water has been hard from day one.  Pre op I could guzzle a quart.  Now unless it has lemon and stevia I have a hard time getting it down.  Cool to warm is better than iced.  

I used to love ham any kind cooked any way.  Not so much now.  Broccoli raw, steamed and stir fried.  It makes me kinda gag post op. Eating out is all about quality of the food.  I am picky what I waste my calories on.  I feel like most fast food is pure junk.  

They told me that my taste could change pre op.  Not to buy a stockpile of protein drinks.  You might not like this flavor or that.. I never dreamed I could be fixated on one food because everything else tastes off.  My case is not the norm.  My psych doc said I was the 1st he had ever heard of.  But a study in 2014 said taste sense of smell change was common to some degree.  

Don't get me wrong I would still have the surgery. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

brownblonde
on 5/25/16 12:13 pm

My tastebuds have changed in that when I know I can only have a very small amount of food, I want a lot of flavor bang for my buck.  I do find spicy foods a bit harder to tolerate, especially with my surgery-onset acid reflux.  But I like "spicy" in terms of lots of flavor profiles going on.  I'd say overall I'm pickier about my food.  If it's not yummy, I don't eat it.  Unripe fruit?  Nope.  wine doesn't taste great?  Nope.  I go for filet instead of sirloin now.  I can afford to be pickier since I eat so much less.  

I'd say I have a bigger sweet tooth now, unfortunately.  But I go for a stronger punch since too many bites would make me sick.  So, for example, I buy higher quality dark chocolate and just have a nib.

I've always loved veggies, but unfortunately it's the most difficult thing for me to eat post-surgery.  Just too fibrous for my sleevie.

Most Active