2 weeks milestone & first pureed foods

JTMGPW
on 5/26/16 2:42 pm

So I hit my two week surgi-versary!! LOL. Saw the Dr, all was well and was cleared for pureed foods - it was all a relief :). Honestly I've been dreaming about something with more consistency for the last several days so my first goal was yogurt. I'm allowed applesauce, yogurt, and any soup w/blended vegetables (there's more on the list, but that is what I remember off the top of my head), so I'll be taking those one food a day at a time (to make sure I don't have any reactions). Yeah, I'm treating it like I did for my children when starting on solids. I figure if it's good for them, it's good for me, LOL. SOooooo yogurt went well. Felt like lead in my stomach after two bites. But that's ok cause it went down and didn't cause pain so I consider that a win. 

Oh, and started vitamins today. The sublingual B12 I've been doing all along, but today was the multivitamins ....

Jesus the vitamins. Holy cow did that hurt!!! Celebrate multivitamin chewable - was fine for the first few minutes but then I wa**** with nausea and pain. Now I'm freaked to take another one tomorrow :/. I know it'll get better ... or at least ... I hope it will get better quick.

So until then, anyone want to share what first pureed foods they had and recipes?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/26/16 3:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

What's considered a "bite?" At first, I tried to make sure my bites were no larger than a grain of rice. That helped a LOT when doing the early solids.

Similarly, you may want to split up your vitamins. Break them into two or three pieces. Chew one, wait five minutes, and then try the next.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

JTMGPW
on 5/26/16 3:23 pm

Oh, a bite is a baby spoon full. I'm not using full spoonfuls or mouthfuls. And half the time I'm only filling the babyspoon half way so I takes me twice to get a "bite".

Great point about breaking the chewables up.

Bufflehead
on 5/26/16 3:09 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Shelly's (Eggface) Ricotta Bake (Google it -- lol I am too lazy to type the whole thing out

Refried beans

Cottage cheese

Poached egg (warning, many people find eggs difficult early on -- I did not)

All of my pureed foods had to be high protein. What I would do is take meat, add a flavorful sauce in the food processor to puree it, then heat it up in the microwave with a little shredded cheese on top. I know pureed meat doesn't sound great, but just think of it as being like a casserole without the carby junk like noodles or rice. It was really good to have something warm and tasty instead of bland old yogurt and cottage cheese. Some of my favorites:

--ranch flavor tuna with ranch dressing and Gruyere cheese

--turkey with peanut satay sauce and jack cheese

--chicken breast with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese

--ground beef with low carb BBQ sauce and cheddar cheese

--shrimp with buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese

But I am sure you can find flavor combinations that you like and help you meet your dietary goals -- those are just some examples to give you the general idea.

Cherie K.
on 5/27/16 3:26 am - Hong Kong

Try the vitamin patches. I think I bought them from a website called patchmd.com but maybe they're available in stores?

Anita
on 5/27/16 6:29 pm

I purchased the PatchMD vitamins.......there's a coupon code for 30% off here on the site....just had blood work done the other day.....all good.....I have a terrible time with vitamins (surgery date is next week....6/6.......woo hoo.....excited and nervous)....but back to the vitamins, I have a bad gag reflex so the patches make me happy....try them

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 199 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views