Constipation-what else can I do?!

Genie03
on 6/11/16 8:28 am
VSG on 05/10/16

Hi all,

a little embarrassing, but looking for suggestions.I had VGS 4 weeks ago,and I also am on tramadol for back pain,and I am very constipated, I have tried stool softener, and glycerin suppositories,and the pink woman's laxative pill. My bowel movements are extremely hard and difficult to pass, I ve. Been drinking lots of liquids and exercising daily. Will this get better, or does anyone have any magical remedies that might help? 

Thanks in advance!! 

Anita
on 6/11/16 8:42 am

Sorry you're having such difficulty......I suspect the pain killer is the problem.....figures one solution creates another problem.

My surgery was on Monday 6/6 - 5 days ago. This may sound silly....last night we went out for dinner and I ordered French Onion Soup.....NO bread, NO cheese and NO onions....I got most of the broth down...it was yummy......by the time I got home, it did it's magic and cleared me out. I have no idea if it was because my system was ready or if there is something in the broth, but....it worked for me.

Good luck......wish I could be more help.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

cappy11448
on 6/11/16 8:56 am

I had to add a dose of miralax to my diet daily to manage the constipation.  I found that 1/2 dose per day solves the problem. If I miss a dose, I know it!  I'm three years post op and still taking it, so I assume it will be so permanently. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

luvmypuggies
on 6/11/16 12:40 pm

I'm with Carol (above).  After suffering for months with that problem and ending up in the hospital with a GI bleed, my gastroenterologist strongly suggested daily Miralax.  I take about a half dose in my morning coffee as daily maintenance.  It's easy to take, and store-brand versions are fine - it's all the same stuff.

Good luck!

Genie03
on 6/11/16 4:42 pm
VSG on 05/10/16

Thank you for the help, I will be heading to get some Miralax tonight and hopefully get some relief tomorrow! 

luvmypuggies
on 6/11/16 5:29 pm

I just want to caution you that I'm not sure Miralax is the "overnight relief" type of product (maybe it is, I don't know).  It might take a few days to normalize, so don't give up if it doesn't work super-fast.  Be sure to drink lots of fluids because Miralax pulls more water into your colon to make life easier. Relief is on the way! :)

Cherie K.
on 6/11/16 7:42 pm - Hong Kong

I am 5 weeks out and started having this problem last week... I tried putting Benefiber in my decaf coffee.  One dose wasn't enough so I upped it to 2 doses per day (you can mix it in anything it has no flavour so I could put it in yogurt or water too)... I was still straining more than wanted to... I was at Starbucks yesterday and I had a small signature hot chocolate about an hour later, I was running for the toilet!  Give it a try if you need quick relief...

Cherie K.
on 6/11/16 7:45 pm - Hong Kong

I am 5 weeks out and started having this problem last week... I tried putting Benefiber in my decaf coffee.  One dose wasn't enough so I upped it to 2 doses per day (you can mix it in anything it has no flavour so I could put it in yogurt or water too)... I was still straining more than wanted to... I was at Starbucks yesterday and I had a small signature hot chocolate about an hour later, I was running for the toilet!  Give it a try if you need quick relief...

Cherie K.
on 6/11/16 7:45 pm - Hong Kong

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/13/16 5:09 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Glad ya posted this! I'm a few days shy of 3 weeks and while I wouldnt say I'm constipated, I'm definitely not regular. 

I was sleeved on a Thurs, and on Tues I had my first bowl movement and it was pretty dense. Ever since then its been pretty liquidy with some solids, but I wouldnt say it was diarhea (sorry, pretty much TMI). I didnt stress about it

Well, now I havent really gone in probably 4 or 5 days. 

I was wanting to come on and message Grim because I believe he posted about having issues and keffir being beneficial to him for finding regularity. 

Def want to add something to my daily routine to help

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 124 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 356 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op