Nauseous every morning

malattogirl
on 6/16/16 2:59 am
VSG on 05/23/16

Hello everyone! I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and in stage 2 post op diet, purees. I am still having a hard time getting purees down. Every morning since surgery I have been having a protein shake and my vitamins. At first I could not get 8 oz down for breakfast. Now I can, but it takes about 1/2 hour. And I get soooooooo nauseous. I feel like maybe I need to vomit, but I never do. However, I do wind up in the bathroom to have a bowel movement which of course makes me feel better. Is this nausea normal 3 1/2 weeks out?

mmsmom
on 6/16/16 3:39 am - Woburn, MA

Vitamins on an empty stomach will make you nauseated.  Have your protein drink, wait a little bit and then try your vitamins - I think that might help.

VSG on 04/28/2014

rocky513
on 6/16/16 4:14 am - WI

You might be lactose intolerant.  Make sure your protein shake is 100% whey isolate.  If it contains whey concentrate or calcium casienate it has lactose in it.   Try to go lactose (milk) free for a few days and see if you improve.  I am lactose intolerant and it took me a few months to figure out that my protein powder had lactose in it and was making me sick. I switched to almond milk or cashew milk, change my protein powder to whey isolate, and immediately felt better.  I can still eat Greek yogurt and cheese.  The lactose is used up in the process of making them.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Darcy G.
on 6/16/16 5:03 am
VSG on 04/07/16

I was incredibly nauseated fine the first six weeks or so, and only iin the morning or after waking from a nap. My surgeon increased my dose of Zofran and gave a couple refills to get me thru it.

When I asked what was going on, he said that sometimes after stomach surgery, the esophagus gets... Hard to wake up. It relaxes when you sleep, but can take a few hours to become properly... active? After you wake, I mean. So what you put in doesn't necessities make it all into your stomach, can cling to the inside of the esophagus along the way... And that feeling trigger nausea. 

Sounded nuts to me, but he said at around 6-8 weeks, it should clear up, and it did for me. Midweek 6.

If you're feeling sick, I'd call to see if they'd give the Zofran. Be careful with others, like Phenergan, if the drug slows gastric emptying, you'll not be nauseous, but you also won't get in the vicinity of any goals. Very unpleasant.

Forgives any crazy typos, on my Kindle :)

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

hollykim
on 6/16/16 8:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM Pacific Time, malattogirl wrote:

Hello everyone! I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and in stage 2 post op diet, purees. I am still having a hard time getting purees down. Every morning since surgery I have been having a protein shake and my vitamins. At first I could not get 8 oz down for breakfast. Now I can, but it takes about 1/2 hour. And I get soooooooo nauseous. I feel like maybe I need to vomit, but I never do. However, I do wind up in the bathroom to have a bowel movement which of course makes me feel better. Is this nausea normal 3 1/2 weeks out?

it could be acid alike me Nexium?fter overnight. Are you taking a PPI 

malattogirl
on 6/16/16 12:59 pm
VSG on 05/23/16

What is a PPI?

hollykim
on 6/16/16 1:25 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 16, 2016 at 7:59 PM Pacific Time, malattogirl wrote:

What is a PPI?

a proton pump inhibitor. It is the pump that sends gastric acid to your stomach. Medications like Nexium,turn off the pump so acid is not sent into your stomach.

malattogirl
on 6/16/16 2:08 pm
VSG on 05/23/16

No, I don't. 

DiaMon
on 6/17/16 2:46 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

The crappiest I ever felt was week 3-4. That's when I was going to go back to work, but I felt so nauseous and dizzy I had to be out an extra week. I also figured out that the protein shake I was drinking had a mayor impact on that. I finally switched from making my own (chocolate was the worst lol yuck!) to buying Premier Protein, and voila! That solved the nausea mystery.

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views