Pre-Op appointment today

petra65
on 6/16/16 5:02 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

When I scheduled my consultation with the surgeon and scheduled my surgery, this seemed so far away but now it is just around the corner.  I go for my pre-op labs and nutrition education education today and surgery is only 12 days away.  I can tell I am starting to get a little more nervous but have been trying to prepare myself mentally and change some things in my life to help me be successful.  I even found my food scale this morning!  I have lost 13 lbs since my consultation with the surgeon and am hoping it gets me less time on pre-op liquids but I will follow whatever instructions they give me.  

I have been exploring some of the other areas on this site and was surprised and disappointed to see that many are not really active.  I encouraged my husband to check out the spouses forum and he tells me no one has posted there in months.  I saw there was a forum for parents at one time which appears to be inactive now.  I have a toddler and am a little concerned about how the immediate post-op period is going to go.  She won't understand why mommy can't pick her up, and it would be nice to hear how some other people have handled these challenges.  Any thoughts about why that has happened?  

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

Kathy S.
on 6/16/16 9:39 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi petra65  

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  It sounds like you are making all the right choices and the more prepared you are the more successful you will be.  Don't forget to deal with head issues on why you eat also

Over the years, more and more members just found it better to come and post on their surgery type forum.  Please post another thread with your questions about your surgery, toddler and spouse questions in the subject line.  I am sure your fellow VSG'ers will respond. They are a great bunch and very supportive!

You can also use our search feature (spy glass in the upper right hand corner) and search specific subjects to read other threads on what you are looking for.

If you need anything else, please let us know at [email protected]

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/16/16 10:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Most people ask questions on the general forum or the one for their type of surgery. People have addressed questions about family, kids and pregnancy, all sorts of things. Don't feel like you have to limit yourself to the quiet sections!

Regarding your toddler, you can probably come up with a simple explanation. "Mom hurt her tummy and can't lift heavy things until she feels better. Do you want to be a big girl and climb up yourself?"

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kelly L.
on 6/16/16 1:03 pm

Congrats on your upcoming surgery and losing 13 lbs already, that's great!

seabexlose
on 6/16/16 2:11 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I have a 4 year old (3 at the time of my surgery).  My husband and I decided to fly in a relative to help because I wasn't sure how much I would be able to do.  I was surprised to learn post-op that I didn't actually have any lift restrictions.  However, I was certainly fatigued and needed daily naps that I wasn't going to get with my very active boy, so the help was nice.  He understood that mommy had "boo-boos" and would ask me about them every day and give me a kiss so I could feel better. 

He would go on little walks with me to the end of the block and back, we could sit at the table together and do activities or snuggle and read stories.  But honestly, it did really help to have another set of hands when my husband was at work so I could rest when I needed to.

petra65
on 6/16/16 6:06 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Thanks for all the helpful responses.  They told me no lifting for 6-8 weeks post-op so that is going to be a bit of a struggle.  My husband has already planned to take her on a trip for a few days that first week but after that it will start to be more challenging. My husband is the stay at home parent in our family and I work.  I will be going back to work after two weeks so that will help some but when I come home at night, she loves to be with her mommy.  Fortunately you can sort of talk with her and get her to understand a few things so I think we will figure it out. I also figure I will probably more active and can get her to go for walks with me which she will love.  

my husband has this fear that I am going to lose a lot of weight and it is somehow going to drastically change my personality.    I honestly can't imagine this happening.  I think this comes from some insecurity he has but curious to hear if other people think this has dramatically changed their personality.

AryaofWinterfell
on 6/20/16 4:02 pm

HI Petra, 

Just wanted to let you know my husband has the same thoughts.  I love my husband very much and have no intention of leaving or changing my personality other than to be so much more happier.  I do not have the support from my husband I would like for those reasons.  Just wanted you to know you are not alone.