One month post op - Why did I do this?

BamaGrad96
on 6/16/16 2:15 pm

I am one month post-op and have not lost a single pound in over a week. I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing, getting my protein, getting my water, walking, taking my vitamins. I want to cry every morning. Why did I do this? Why did I go to all this trouble when I'm not even going to lose more than 20 pounds. I am DEEP into the regret phase. Any support is appreciated.

seabexlose
on 6/16/16 2:20 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

My guess is that you've hit your "three week stall" a little bit late.  Chin up, keep doing all the right things you're already doing, and the scale will start moving again soon.

Your body is still trying to figure out what on earth is going on.

kyzze
on 6/16/16 2:24 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Please don't despair, this is perfectly normal. Search "stall" and you will see hundreds of post from people who have gone through this. You are only 1 month post op, your body is still adjusting and healing. I think alot of us(including myself) had this misconception that the weight is just going melt right off, but it is a process. Keep following your diet closely, don't give up and the scale will start moving again. Relish in the happiness about the weight you've lost already.

Kyzze

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/16/16 3:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Beyond the first few weeks, you will NOT lose weight every single day. After the initial loss, most people average a slow and steady pound or two per week.

The early loss also brings a flood of hormones. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, and as we lose weight, it all goes rushing into our symptoms. Cue major mood swings!

Keep at it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kelly L.
on 6/16/16 4:27 pm

The scales will start moving again.   It may be just a stall, and it will pass.   I try not to get caught up in the scales because I know how it is.  You could be retaining fluid, you might be losing inches.   Eventually the scales will move, just not as fast as we want them too.

Donna L.
on 6/16/16 4:49 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hang in there and keep doing what you are supposed to!

Remind your regret that you did this for a reason.  How much have you lost?  Even with so much to lose, every pound gone makes me feel like a million bucks.  Remind yourself of this.  

Make a list of things for you to focus on when you feel regret and sorrow.  My list has: play the flute, coloring, study german, astronomy, work on my novel, listen to a funny comedian, use some swanky lotion and relax all spa-like cucumbers and all, et cetera.  Every time you feel angst or sadness pick something from your list and focus on only that.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/17/16 5:10 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

While I havent hit any real sense of regret, the thoughts have crossed my mind of "did I REALLY understand what I was getting into?"

That being said, I hit my stall around 2.5 weeks (yesterday was 3) post op. I didnt really lose anything for a week or so. Today I was down 0.5, so hopefully I'm past it now

I found this article doing some research, so may be what you're experiencing. I found it interesting about how it explains the initial ~10 lb loss at the beginning, like is found in any diet when started

Hope this helps to encourage you some :)

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php

Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

A weight loss stall or plateau is a period of time during where there is no weight loss according to the scale and there may be no loss of inches according to the tape measure. This is why it is so important to take body measurements before surgery, so the patient has a reference as the weight loss progresses post-op. We suggest taking measurements of the chest, waist and hip, neck, upper arm, thigh and calf.

Be aware it is very common for weight loss to "stall" shortly after surgery. Diana explains the reason for this below.

The Inevitable Stall

By Diana C.

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

What You Can Do About a Stall or Plateau

If a patient is experiencing a post-op weight loss stall or plateau further out there are a few possible causes. First, check that are you really in a stall. If the scale has stopped moving you may be losing inches, so check your measurements.

Too Many Carbs?

Carbohydrates can start sneaking into foods without any awareness of how quickly they are adding up. If there is struggling with weight loss the patient may want to examine their daily carb count. Keep the carbs under 50g a day and see if that makes a difference in weight loss. Do not eat carbs before bedtime as it triggers insulin and initiates fat storage. 

Fit Day 
The Daily Plate
Calorie King 

For more tips on keeping a food journal see the Personal Nutrition Guide

Eating Enough? 

If there is under-eating or going more than 4-5 hours without eating, the body will shift into fasting mode, slow the metabolism and conserve stored energy (fat). This can contribute to a weight loss stall or plateau. Make sure the consumption of food is small meals or small snacks throughout the day, also, ensure to meet daily protein requirements. Try eating some protein with every meal or snack. For more information on protein requirements see our section on Protein

Drinking Enough? 

An adequate level of water in the body aids in the effective breakdown of fat. The daily minimum recommendation is 64 fluid ounces of water a day. If a patient is in ketosis they will need to drink even more water to ensure the ketones are flushed out of the system. If there is any exercising or the patient lives in warm/dry weather there needs to be a higher consumption of water.

Exercising?

Exercise can increase metabolism and burn fat. Strength training will build muscles and will boost fat burning. In a stall a patient can try increasing the volume of exercise or changing up the routine to overcome a weight loss stall or plateau. If the exercises have been mainly aerobic activity, try doing a bit of strength training; if they have been mainly strength training, try an aerobic work-out.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/17/16 5:57 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Great information - Thank you!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

AMAZEBALLS
on 6/17/16 6:45 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

I had a stall that lasted about 3 weeks, then I lost 11lbs in the span of 3 days. Stalls are not fun, but they will pass.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

Renren
on 6/17/16 11:13 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Every time I lose some weight it's like my body has to adjust (I call it a Pause) then I will lose a little more, and pause again, over and over. So now when I stop losing for a bit, I just think, Brace yourself, you're getting ready to drop some more. Just keep following the instructions you were given and it will start coming off when your body is ready. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views