3 days post op!

lucylewis847
on 6/18/16 11:29 am
VSG on 06/15/16

Hi! I'm three days post-op and am really quite surprised at how well this is going.  I think my first night home I nearly had a panic attack when I thought about the fact that I actually had the majority of an organ removed.  More than that, the doctor said that even though I weighed 270 lbs my fat on the inside was that of a 500lb man.  Scary. I think I've gotten over that... But thank God I had the surgery.  I don't think I would've lived long at all... and that's scary for sure.

My biggest complaints are more nuisances- and it's the fact that my GI tract is quite the noise maker.  I'm hearing whizzes and pops and whooshes and bubbling like I've never heard before.  I'm afraid "something" is wrong because I can tolerate a couple of ounces of fluid at a time without pain.  The third swallow makes me pause and work through the cramp and then I resume a few minutes later.  It took me a good hour to finish 4 oz of water yesterday.  This morning I drank 20 oz over 2 1/2 hours and with minimal complaints.  Is that too much?  I'm not at all hungry but also don't want to be hospitalized for weakness/dehydration.

My second complaint is that I found myself on a really negative website yesterday which basically said that WLS is a farce and we're all making (or have made) terrible mistakes about our bodies because we have to diet forever.  Right.  We do.  And we can only eat so much at a time if we're doing the right thing.  These people don't realize how scary that makes it for newbies who are questioning if we've done the right thing (although it doesn't really matter, does it?  There's no reversing this...).

My second nuisance is that I gained wait while in the hospital, all fluid, I know.  I haven't lost all of it yet.  When will I start losing- losing.  I don't want to not be a loser.  I think I need some encouragement :)

Kelly L.
on 6/18/16 12:27 pm

Welcome to the losers bench!!   You seem to be doing good.  The water is good, but try to take small sips and slow so you don't cramp.   It's good that you aren't feeling any hunger.   I still don't at 5 yrs out.

Just ignore sites like that, they don't know what it's like or what we go through to try to lose weight without WLS.   You don't need to read their opinions like that, especially now.  

Naomi S.
on 6/18/16 4:45 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

Hi Lucy,

I just knew you'd do well. Congratulations to you, and I hope the rest of your recovery continues to go smoothly. My surgery was two weeks ago, and I still hear A LOT of strange noises from my gut. I'm not sure when it will quiet down, so for now that is my new "normal."

The weight will begin dropping, you just continue focusing on your water intake. 

Naomi

malattogirl
on 6/18/16 4:57 pm
VSG on 05/23/16

Congrats!!! I gained weight after the surgery,  too. But by day 3 post op I was down the fluid and started to lose weight. 3 weeks 5 days post op and down 21 pounds. You are going to do great!!!!

LeapSecond
on 6/20/16 4:36 am - AR

Welcome to the loser's bench. (1) You do need the water but it sounds like you might be getting too much at a time.  (2) 2 oz at once for 3 days PO is pretty fast.  (3) The stomach noises are totally normal and for me still continue almost 2 years out.  (4) I try to stay away from people or websites that are negative about my and my doctors choices.  They don't know me or my medical problems.  Some people believe you can just eat less and poof be at ideal body weight.  Recent research has shown otherwise. Regain is a reality with WLS but not as high as everything else I've tried and I've tried them all. (5) Fluids will all balance out.  Don't let the scale rule your world.  Follow your plan the weight will come off.   

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 209 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 293 views