I am scared

Rachel27
on 6/28/16 2:40 pm
VSG on 07/11/16 with

I am scared because I am having surgery in 10 days and I still haven't quit smoking. I dont think I am going to so I might get stomach ulcers. I am also scared I am not going to be able to stick to the all liquid pre-op diet. What happens if you don't?

emelar
on 6/28/16 2:45 pm - TX

Some surgeons test for nicotine during pre-op.  You fail, no surgery.  It's not just an issue with ulcers.  Smoking affects healing, leading to complications.  There's a reason they want you to stop smoking before surgery and after, at least for some time.  Whether you can stay smoke-free after that is something you have to decide.

Rachel27
on 6/29/16 9:54 am
VSG on 07/11/16 with

I have my pre-ops tomorrow. I hope they dont test me for nicotine

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/28/16 2:52 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you don't stick to the liquid diet and your liver doesn't shrink to the surgeon's satisfaction, it's entirely possible that s/he will close you right back up without doing the VSG.

Does your doctor require you to quit smoking? Does s/he know that you're still smoking? If you "don't think you're going to" quit, which is COMPLETELY your choice, your surgeon needs to know-- both as a consideration for healing, as well as considering your willingness and ability to follow doctors' orders in general.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

LeapSecond
on 6/28/16 3:14 pm - AR

You have reason to be scared.  Evaluate your safety.  Nicotine reduces blood flow to circulation.  Micro vascular vessels in the suture line are affected greatly.  My insurance would not pay without a negative nicotine level.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/28/16 3:34 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Most surgeons require that you quit smoking before they'll do surgery.  Some will test you before surgery to insure that you are compliant.  If you're not, they will cancel your surgery.

Are you sure you're ready for weight loss surgery?  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

poplargreys
on 6/28/16 3:35 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

What you put into your body before and after surgery is ultimately your choice... but why would you even subject yourself to such an invasive, permanently life-altering surgery when you aren't completely committed to following the guidelines set forth by your surgeon??

TimeToHealRich2016
on 6/29/16 1:47 am - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

Wow...Rachel I also am having VSG in about 10 days and I feel for your discomfort.  My wife has gotten me over some anxiety (not about smoking) with steady encouragement and I wish that for you....be strong!  And do it!  Don't ask about options that would cause you to avoid quitting smoking and ideas about failing.  Pull it together!!!!  You are close enough now that I am sure you have had good reason to work yourself up but now you can lean on others here and be committed.  I hope you do! 

happyteacher
on 6/29/16 2:19 am

Come on Rachel, you can do it! Just toss them out, get them out, and don't allow yourself to go buy more. Preop diet, it is challenging for those who are on an all liquid diet. Brutally difficult for those two weeks- but it is only 10 days. Just take it one day at a time. If you can get post op, you will not want to eat in the same manner as what you are struggling with right now. I would have a very open conversation with your surgeon about the smoking thing and how that might impact you. Not informing you might put you at risk otherwise. I don't know much about how smoking impacts, other than it is standard procedure for docs to tell you to stop. Try to use the energy that is going to being scared right now and instead use it to work on stopping smoking and adhering to the liquid diet. Just take it once choice at a time, and the 10 days will be over with before you know it.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Cherie K.
on 6/29/16 4:30 am - Hong Kong

I don't smoke but I believe that I read smoking increases risk of blood clots so I think it's a safety issue. I didn't have to do a pre-op all liquid diet (Thank God!) or it may have near killed me...I was sick of the protein shakes after 2 weeks so if I had to drink them for a couple weeks before surgery too...UGH!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 217 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views