Am I setting myself up to fail, or doing the right thing?

LosinginAZ
on 7/5/16 2:26 pm

So I have been thinking a lot lately about my diet. I eat just protein and veggies still, and have been eating that way for a few weeks shy of a year. Not once have I cheated, not once have I had a piece of bread, or a bite of candy, etc.  

It hasn't been that bad really. It was hard at first, but it has become easier.

Here is my dilemma. Am I not learning how to eat properly for the real world? If I eat no more than 20-30 carbs a day, is that a lifestyle I can keep up with forever? Is that doable? Or when I reach goal, do I need to add in more carbs, to learn how to eat them?  Would it be better to occasionally have something outside of my norm? or is that my fat girl brain wanting an excuse to eat a piece of pizza? lol 

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Grim_Traveller
on 7/5/16 3:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You're the only one that can answer these questions. Do YOU think you can continue eating this way forever? 

I've found an eating pattern that I can stick with long term. But I don't know many others that can eat this way. 

The best thing I think we can do long term is to remain flexible. The number of calories and carbs I am eating now suit me just fine. But if they need to be lowered down the line, then I'll lower them.

Some people can add carbs in maintenance, but others start packing on weight if they do. Some can have a slice of pizza once in a while, but for many it's the start of a slippery slope. You'll have to figure out where you land.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

LosinginAZ
on 7/5/16 5:10 pm

Thank you for your response. I was worrying that maybe I was being naive in thinking I could eat this way forever. I feared that my lack of learning to eat in moderation would be a downfall. I don't think I am made for moderation, so the foods I eat will be key. I have avoided all trigger foods because to me they seem like a slippery slope.  People always tell me "one bite won't kill you" but I think it will.  I'm happy to know that learning to eat bad foods isn't a skill I ever need to have. Thanks Grim!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

acbbrown
on 7/5/16 3:35 pm - Granada Hills, CA

if you want to join the "real world", be prepared to be morbidly obese like a huge portion of the population.

it took me 4.5 years to solve this dilemma. I always thought moderation was some where in my genes until one day, I realized it absolutely is not. Some people are literally never going to be able to eat those trigger foods in moderation. Sucks as it is, but true.

I now choose to abstain completely from all added sugars, flour, peanut butter, chips, popcorn and a few others. I love my lifestyle choice and have done this for 6 months straight with no exceptions. I do eat rice and potatoes because they are not triggers for me, and have them 2-3x a week. that's about it though.

Do what you've been doing, get the same results. If eating those things led to being obese, keep eating them and see yourself likely stay obese. If not eating them is leading to weight loss and being healthier, keep doing that.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

LosinginAZ
on 7/5/16 5:15 pm

Believe me, it's not something I want to do. I was more concerned about whether learning to eat in moderation was a necessary skill. I see people talking about adding carbs once they hit goal but I am afraid to do that. I don't want to risk it all for the occasional piece of bread, so I just was questioning if maybe avoiding all carbs was a dangerous game. I suppose only I can really decide whether that plan works or doesnt, but for now it does and I'm going to make sure it always does :)

cappy11448
on 7/5/16 9:57 pm

First, let me say that I am in awe that you have been able to maintain the diet with no cheats.  I found that I needed to cheat occasionally, and it was ok as long as I got back on track immediately after - not the next day or the next week.  An occasional cheat was ok. 

I don't think you need to cheat.  If you can maintain on meat and healthy veggies, then that will make it easier.  If you choose to have an occasional cheat, and maintain the discipline to get back on track, that works too. 

Congratulations on your success.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LosinginAZ
on 7/5/16 10:29 pm

Thanks Carol! Sometimes it is hard, usually at parties and workplace events, but I'm managing. Your success inspires me! I hope to make it to my goal someday :)

frisco
on 7/6/16 12:17 am

Congrats on a couple things..... Weight loss and compliance !!! Funny how those two go hand in hand !!!

You are on the right track..... do not waiver !!!

Forward thinking is great and things will come as you progress.

Keep doing what your doing till past goal !!!

I do not think you are setting yourself up for failure at all, I think you are setting yourself up for success !!!

When you/we see the people (most) that fall short of making goal, the most common reason is running out of commitment and compliance.

Entering maintenance is not a light switch to a different eating plan. The chances are the last pounds will be very hard to lose on your current plan. Most, including myself had to lower calories to near the 600 range which means early maintenance is only a little bit more than that.

That said, in long term maintenance adding carbs doesn't mean eating pizza or sandwich bread or pasta or rice or potatoes. "For me", adding carbs means a more varied diet in food content. Occasional breaded fried foods, thicker sauces typically are made with flour, starchier veggies, recipes with sugar like teriyaki..... as a few examples.

You will be surprised how little the difference is from WL to maintenance. A blob of mayo is a hundred cals.

In maintenance you can increase either content, quantity or frequency.

Oh and moderation is the hands down most dangerous word in weight control !!!! How long is a piece of string ????

Your doing great !!! Keep the path, consistency wins at this game !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

LosinginAZ
on 7/6/16 7:15 am

Thank you Frisco!  What gets me is how many people tell me that a bite of this, or a bite of that won't kill me. I try to explain to them that yes, it actually will. One bite of pizza, leads to a whole slice, which leads to multiple slices, which leads to a whole pizza, which leads to my brain thinking its okay to have a whole pizza once in awhile, which leads to all pizza, all the time. I know I am crazy, but that is how I ended up at 446lbs! I am definitely not going back. Plus I threw away all my old clothes 

Thanks again!

FuturePinUp
on 7/7/16 10:42 am

Though I am not really a veteran or yet at goal, I find that I am one of those people who can JUST have a piece of something and have it not lead to a slippery slope of failure. Having the occasional "bad" food item helps me feel satisfied, happy, and, yes, "normal." 

Now, I am anticipating the comments about how I'll see where that gets me in 3-4 years but ultimately, I can just SEE that my outlook has completely changed from how it was before surgery. I also don't get triggers from sugars or carb addiction (I was never a big fan of either). 

If being strict on plan and not cheating at all work for you, then by all means, rock that!!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active