Do I need to take my B-12 again?

Naomi S.
on 7/7/16 6:37 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I have a sublingual B-12 I am supposed to take 1x per week. This morning I held it under my tongue until it was all mushy, and then one of my kids asked me a question. While answering, the tablet slipped out from under my tongue. I tried to poke it back in, lol, but it was too soft, and I ended up just swallowing it. Should I take another one?  Isn't the absorption supposed to be more transdermal, rather than through the digestive system?  I don't want to take too much, but I also want to make sure I get enough. 

TIA!

Naomi

hollykim
on 7/7/16 7:43 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 8, 2016 at 1:37 AM Pacific Time, Naomi S. wrote:

I have a sublingual B-12 I am supposed to take 1x per week. This morning I held it under my tongue until it was all mushy, and then one of my kids asked me a question. While answering, the tablet slipped out from under my tongue. I tried to poke it back in, lol, but it was too soft, and I ended up just swallowing it. Should I take another one?  Isn't the absorption supposed to be more transdermal, rather than through the digestive system?  I don't want to take too much, but I also want to make sure I get enough. 

TIA!

no I wouldn't take another. If it was mushy, it absorbed on the way down anyway

califsleevin
on 7/7/16 8:37 pm - CA

You should be fine. The sublingual/injectable B12 is another bypass requirement that is often passed on to sleeve patients but is not really required with the sleeved stomach - we still make some intrinsic factor that's required for its processing, unlike the bypass, and normal oral tablets will usually work just fine for us if we need to supplement (it's not even on my doc's list of routine post-op supplements as we usually get enough from our diet and multivitamins). Continue doing what you have been doing until labs provide specific guidance as to where you need to adjust supplements and don't worry about a one time slip up.

If you are worried about it, go ahead and take another one tomorrow as there is no realistic toxicity level for B12 (mine's been above the normal range for years without sublingual or injectables.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/8/16 5:43 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Not sure about ^^^

I just had my 6 week follow up and my B levels were low. I didnt have my latest shot prior to blood work.

I dont know about taking another pill, I dont think (but, I dont really know) if theres "too much B12"

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/8/16 12:35 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I remember a similar incident happened to me right after surgery.  I swallowed my sublingual B12 instead of chewing it and went into a panic thinking that I would screw up my labs.  

One missed B12 isn't going to put you in the hole.  It was mushy in your mouth so you probably absorbed some of the supplement.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220