Struggling a bit today- 10 days post-op

petra65
on 7/8/16 2:07 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I seem to have gotten a handle on getting in all my protein, fluids, meds, supplements, etc but today I just want some food. Not junk, a nice piece of meat and some vegetables would be great.  The all liquid thing is getting on my nerves and I have a little more than 2 weeks yet to go.  I have also found that despite my best effort, the maximum calories I seem to be able to get in at this phase while meeting all my nutritional requirements is somewhere between 500-700/day.  I have some concern about whether or not that will really be enough when I return to work next week? 

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

Bufflehead
on 7/8/16 2:14 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I know the all liquid thing is kind of awful and monotonous, but despite it all it really sounds like you are doing great. There is no reason you should be pushing to get more calories at this stage. Your body can draw the energy it needs from your fat stores.

Recovering from surgery is grueling and hard -- you may find yourself tired when you return to work, but that is completely normal for any kind of surgery, it just takes a lot of your body's energy to focus on recovering from the trauma it suffered. Keep following your plan and you will gradually begin picking up more energy. Good luck!

petra65
on 7/8/16 2:16 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  The people I work with are great and I know will be as supportive as possible.

emelar
on 7/8/16 3:15 pm - TX

500-700 calories a day is normal at this stage.  Some might consider it high.  It's enough.  You'll be able to function just fine at that level for months and you'll want to maintain as high a calorie deficit as you can for as long as you can.

Yeah, the liquid stage sucks, but it also ends...eventually!

Neesie57
on 7/8/16 3:51 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My goal was reached on June 12, 10 months after my VSG surgery.  Only when I went into maintenance did I start eating more than 700 calories a day.  I'm still only eating 800-900 a day.  

Not only was 600-700 enough for me, I have been hiking and walking more than I ever did before, and I have plenty of energy. You will be fine at work and with exercise on 500-700.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

SoCalDee
on 7/8/16 3:56 pm
VSG on 06/24/16

I am just a few days ahead of you, my surgery was June 24th.

I know, this part is tough. What I have found is I miss chewing.... so ice chips with some Dasani water drops on top have helped, kind of like a snow cone. And this might sound weird but last night I cooked some ground  turkey for my dogs (yes, spoiled ) and I just chewed on a little piece to get the flavor, I didn't swallow it, just spit the turkey out....but it helped. Broke up the monotony of protein shakes :)

My doctor told me not to worry so much about the protein these 1st few weeks, he said the hydration is far more important. I am not getting anywhere near 700 calories a day. I am lucky if I can do 2 Premier protein shakes. 

Today was my 1st day back in the office. I had a protein shake this morning and then a few sips of blended chicken noodle soup with some protein powder. So far so good, tonight I will do another protein shake. 

Hang in there, you are doing great!

5'0 Heaviest 247.4 Surgery Weight 236.0  Goal 140

*Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable*

randi0516
on 7/8/16 8:52 pm

My surgery was on the 21st. I actually am eating food (stuff I shouldn't be eating like chicken). I could no longer handle not eating and I did miss chewing. I am supposed to be 500-700/day and I am still finding I am not making it. You are doing better then me I can't take my vitamins without wanting to hurl even if I take them with food. It is good to see someone else being able to drink normally. I can easily drink a whole protein drink within an hour with no problems. When I eat food though I do feel a little tightness and that is when I stop right away. As for going back to work I can't believe the people that go back so soon. I am out until mid August! I am not supposed to carry anything heavy (not even my daughter). I work in daycare taking care of infants so most of my job is getting up and down and carrying children so that may be why but even now I get tired doing house work. 

LeapSecond
on 7/9/16 3:44 am - AR

I would encourage you to follow your eating plan.  eating until  you feel tightness is testing your surgeon's sewing ability.  The nerves have been cut during VSG and feeling full is often never felt until too late.  I still weight my food at almost 2 yrs out.  It is okay to not be able to hit the calorie mark so early out.  Your body will just use fat stores. Hang in there stay on plan.  You will feel back to normal energy level soon. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

petra65
on 7/8/16 9:59 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Fortunately, my job is not physically demanding.  I have a 2 year old daughter and have been unable to pick her up which has been hard but we are making it through that part.  My job is unusually mentally demanding and that is actually what concerns me.  I'm expected to problem solve, make pretty big decisions, and multitask.  I went to Walmart the other day to get about a dozen items and it took me an hour.  Not because I was physically having problems with this task but because I couldn't remain focused on what I was doing.  This would have normally only taken me 15 minutes.  I have been off pain meds for over a week so that is not the problem either.  Hopefully people are right, you get used to it and adapt but right now my brain is not liking this.  

Lisa F.
on 7/9/16 6:29 am, edited 7/8/16 11:32 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

My surgery date was June 6th and I took 3 weeks off (so glad I did). I work in IT and have a very demanding job. I'm finding I'm having problems connecting my brain with my mouth and feel just not there mentally.

Physically is up and down. Some days I'm fine, but most days by the time I leave work I am exhausted and struggling to stay awake after 7:00.

My surgeon checked in with me yesterday and said this is all normal. Losing weight so rapidly takes a major toll on the body and that we should start to feel better at about 3 months out. Hydration is so important!!!

I think for me, reality hit me this week on the impact of all this....has been an emotional roller coaster (also normal).

Best to all of you... we'll all get there!

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN