Curious back pain....

ubserved
on 7/9/16 10:17 pm

Hello everyone, I have a question to see if anyone else has had this issue. I am coming up on 8 months post op. Since the beginning of the year, I have had some really bad back pain, in the same location right under the left shoulder blade. Ironically it hurts more when I lay down than when I am upright. I have seen my doctor, he sent me to physical therapy, which hasn't helped in the slightest. They claim they think it is a weak lat muscle. Sometimes it hurts, to the point I am on Oxy. Then it ends up not hurting much if any pain at all.

I would think if it is a weak muscle, the pain wouldn't come and go. Here is my question, could it be a kidney stone? It's in the right area, I have no problem urinating. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue, I never had back issues prior to surgery. Anyways thoughts or insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sutterbos
on 7/15/16 8:53 pm, edited 7/15/16 1:55 pm
VSG on 06/21/12

I just saw your post today.  I had a kidney stone 17 days post op.  They kept telling me it was gas pain when I called the surgeon's office.  I finally drove myself to the ER after a couple days of excruciating pain.  My pain was lower than yours - lower left side of my back.  I wasn't having any problems urinating either.  My sister had gastric bypass 5 years ago and just had her gall bladder out.  She was having severe abdominal and upper back pain.  I'd say your pain could be either one of those.  

If your regular doctor isn't willing to explore the options, take yourself to the ER.  They had me diagnosed in just a couple hours.

I'm sorry you are going through this.  Worst pain ever!!!

ubserved
on 7/16/16 5:42 am

Thanks for the reply, With all the views and not a word from anyone, I thought I was just being ignored lol. I actually have a ultrasound set for Monday afternoon as well as some other tests. I don't think it's a gall bladder issue, it's on the wrong side of the body. All my pain is on the left side of my bad from about just under the shoulder blade and it's starting to wrap around to my left side. Still no problem with urination however. What amazes me is it hurts the most when I am laying down, and laying down, it would seem that would be better for my back if it's muscular like they originally thought being you are more supported when laying down. Go figure, at least my doctor has the mentality of let's err on the side of caution and just see what's going on in there. All I know is I am sick of being on narcotics to control the pain. I take the meds and then I am in a semi fog state the next day. Anyways, I'll let you know what I discover.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views