New and not sure what to do..

jachristmas
on 7/12/16 4:19 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I found out today that my surgeon has resigned from the practice. He will not perform any more surgeries after August 30th. I am supposed to have my EGD Friday and my last nutrition visit later this month..the only hold up has been my pulmonary clearance. It has been a struggle to get an appointment, the earliest so far has been Oct. 10th. If I can't get my clearance in time they will have to refer me to another surgeon in another city an 1.5 hrs away. I am so disappointed! I was hoping to get my surgery date soon and now I may have to start fresh. And by some chance I do get cleared, do I still want him to do it? I will still have to find another doctor for follow up and not sure why he is resigning and whether I can still trust his abilities knowing I could very well be his last surgery. I am disappointed but I have been waiting 8 years for this opportunity and I will not give up...just not sure what my next move is yet..thanks for listening!

mylastchance
on 7/12/16 4:37 pm

First order of business....breathe.  Relax and try not to come unhinged.  Make some calls to see if you can speed things up, move them around or whatever they need done to get this done. 

I don't think you should worry about who will be a follow up Dr.  If you trusted this Dr. from the beginning,  then you should be able to trust him now.  Unless of course he isn't who he says he was, and that's why he is resigning.  That should be looked at too. 

I do hope things will come together for you as you have been at this for a very long time.  Mine was a 7 month deal,  from start to finish.  Must have been in a lucky place, right time, right place for it to go so quickly.

Again, hoping for the best for you and remember breathe.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

jachristmas
on 7/12/16 5:27 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Thanks for the encouragement. I am working with another sleep lab to see if I can get in sooner, but tomorrow I am going to check with another surgeon to see how the process would go to switch over now. I have wanted WLS for about 8 years but neither mine or hubby's insurance covers it. With savings and a gift from my mother I have enough to pay for the procedure myself so at least there are no paperwork issues with that.As a self pay patient everything was going so smooth and has been less than 2 months. But I know this is a manageable situation, only a minor setback. Thanks for replying!

mylastchance
on 7/12/16 6:15 pm

Sounds like you have it all under control.  Also with the self pay it can put you closer to the front of the line. 

Hang in there and I'm sure you'll be able to get this worked out.

I'll be watching for your updates and wish you the best!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/16 9:58 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

you doctor should be more than happy to assist you in getting in with another surgeon he knows. Plus the distance think is really not that much of an issue if can get someone to respect what pre-op stuff his group did, it should just be a matter of the doctor and you showing up. Doctors really have minimal interaction with patience anyway. I wouldn't worry to much, check with him, let me know your fears and get him on to getting you in with an another group. as far as sleep test, there is a take home sleep test which is way cheaper and takes a few weeks to get the study back in one to two weeks.

jachristmas
on 7/13/16 5:46 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I called the coordinator today and she gave me the name of another surgeon but she couldn't even give me a phone number, said I could find it online. I have decided I am going to call another bariatric center tomorrow (the one that was my second choice originally) and then my third pick as well to see which one will be willing to accept my clearances and take me on as a patient. I did find out about the home sleep study, but seriously rethinking my choice of surgeon. i am already driving over an hour so if i switch it will be the same time just the opposite direction lol.thanks for replying.

Most Active