Post op day 8

jenny_733
on 7/13/16 3:28 pm

Ok, just want to know if what I am feeling is normal. 

I have discomfort (feels like pulled muscle) in my epigastric area. This appears to be the largest incision, so I am assuming this is normal.

I have a feeling of gas, like I need to burp, that is really annoying. I am getting my fluids and protein in, doing my walking and have used anti-gas chewables every now and then. Just kinda feels like an "empty" feeling. 

I guess I am doing ok for day 8 but just need reassurance. I swear, I hope it doesn't feel like this forever after eating cause that would suck! 

Realizing more and more this is a mental journey, maybe more so than the physical one.

Thanks for listening.

luvmypuggies
on 7/13/16 4:19 pm

Sounds pretty normal to me, but of course consult your doc if you're at all worried.  There are a lot of weird feelings to get used to as your tummy heals and adapts to a new way of life. I gurgled (loudly) and burped all the time for months. Still do a little bit.  If you feel really bad after eating, cut back a bit - it shouldn't feel terrible every time.  Overdoing it feels like crap.  No, it won't feel like this forever.

Btw, you pegged it with your comment about realizing that this is a mental journey. Spot on! :)

camishagreen
on 7/13/16 5:54 pm

Good luck on your journey. I have a question just curious because I hear so many differen things. Is there a certain amount of weight one must lose before qualifing for surgery. And over all is it a lengthy process in general?

KTnj63
on 7/13/16 6:23 pm
VSG on 07/07/16

I had my first consult with my surgeon 2/5/16. He suggested vsg and handed me over to nutritionist I saw her 3/17,4/18 and 5/17. My insurance said I had to lose wait in those 3 months which I did down 12 from 1st dr appt.  my insurance also needed psych evaluation and endoscopey. All were completed by 5/17. After that they needed a letter from my primary Doctor which actually took the longest.  Paper work submitted 6/21 surgeon put me on schedule prior to ins approval and all was approved by 7/1.  So mine was a very fast process.  Surgery was 7/7. Feeling great no real pain driving doing my bookkeeping job going to bank. I hope it continues this way

camishagreen
on 7/13/16 6:42 pm

bcbs standard is my insurance ..My bmi is 45. I have high blood pressure ,, asthma  et.. Been trying to lose weight for last 5 yr..  I've tried adipex going to dietitian  . A numerous different things and I even go to the gym 4x a week. 

hollykim
on 7/13/16 6:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 14, 2016 at 12:54 AM Pacific Time, camishagreen wrote:

Good luck on your journey. I have a question just curious because I hear so many differen things. Is there a certain amount of weight one must lose before qualifing for surgery. And over all is it a lengthy process in general?

that totally depends on your surgeon and insurance requirements. 

Have you checked to make sure it is a covered procedure for your policy?

KTnj63
on 7/13/16 6:28 pm
VSG on 07/07/16

I'm 6 days post op.  I have 1 incision with a little pull but no pain. I have not had any gas problems but I use the gas strips since 1st night post op and home had sever nausea and vomitted. Took advice from the forum. Never felt sick again. Good luck on your journey!!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 199 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views