Home from Hospital

jesuiscrystal
on 7/14/16 6:12 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

I was sleeved on the afternoon of 7/12 (Tuesday), and came home today. My first night was a nightmare, as they had a hard time controlling my pain with Fentanyl, Morphine, and even a big dose of Dilaudid. As I was on my way to radiology for my leak test (passed), I ran into my surgeon who was pretty concerned at the sight of me, so he sent the NP up to figure something out. She gave me a one time dose of Toradol that turned things completely around. 

I'm in a mild amount of pain, but they sent me home with Hycet liquid. I'm trying not to sleep too much, as I know I need to sip, sip, sip, but I had a roommate in the hospital and received virtually no rest. 

I'm not the least bit hungry, but I did manage to get down most of a protein shake over the course of an hour. I know it'll only get better from here, but send all the encouragement you have my way!

LeapSecond
on 7/14/16 6:30 pm - AR

So sorry you had trouble getting your pain under control.  You need rest for sure because your body is doing some major healing right now.  But you also need to drink and walk. Maybe you could set the alarm on your phone.  When you go to the bathroom walk around in your house and take a few sips.  That is what I did. Hope that helps.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

luvmypuggies
on 7/14/16 6:49 pm

So glad you're feeling better!  You probably won't feel hungry at all (if ever!), so don't hold your breath for that feeling to determine when you eat.  If you can drink a protein shake in under an hour, then I think you're doing great, so keep up the good work! Welcome to the losers' bench! :)

KTnj63
on 7/14/16 7:28 pm
VSG on 07/07/16

Glad you are home now.  So sorry you struggled with pain. Ugh. Hang in there keep drinking and you will get stronger and feel better.  I really think walking was what made me feel better so quickly.   Feel better!!

jesuiscrystal
on 7/14/16 8:02 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

I walked night of, actually, in an effort to get rid of the gas we believed was causing the pain. I know it sounds weird, but morphine just doesn't do much for me. The nurses were too slow, in my opinion, to catch on to that fact. The toradol just melted the pain away and allowed me to get some rest. I felt like a new woman after that. 

KTnj63
on 7/14/16 8:30 pm
VSG on 07/07/16

Glad it's getting better I really didn't have much pain.  I was in hospital just 1night and took oral Percocet there.  Only took Percocet 1st night home then just Tylenol for a couple of days.  Haven't needed anything for pain in last 3 day thank god.  I was concerned with constipation from meds thankfully didn't have that problem.  Rest up sip and walk. You will do great!!

mylastchance
on 7/14/16 8:13 pm

Hang in there,  you'll bounce back soon.

Welcome LOSER!!

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

InItToWinIt
on 7/14/16 8:48 pm, edited 7/14/16 1:49 pm

Congratulations. You made it. Definitely sorry to hear about your pain management issues but I'm glad they're resolved. I agree, the walking really helped. And I too found myself doing a few laps around my house every time I got up to go to the bathroom or if I woke up at night in discomfort. The GasX melting strips were also a HUGE help. 

Keep up the great work. You'll be healed in no time. 

petra65
on 7/15/16 4:15 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

Congratulations.  Sorry about your pain issues bit glad they are better now.  A lot of people have trouble getting water and protein in the first few days so listen to the advice you are getting.  Drink a little and walk a little every time you are awake and it will get better every day.  

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

AMAZEBALLS
on 7/15/16 6:51 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

I had to stay an extra night at the hospital because I was in so much pain after (trapped air). Dilaudid via injection took all my pain away but the Dilaudid oral made me feel horrible and made me sick to my stomach. I walked as much as I could. Felt soooo much better day 5.

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op