Interesting reaction

Rothsteh
on 7/16/16 5:32 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Hey guys,

One more thing I am noticing is that when I am around food my mouth still waters. I have noticed that if I take a deeper look its usually not hunger but I just need to look past it. This is annoying and I assume is psychological. 

Has anyone encountered this before? If so any tips?

Donna L.
on 7/16/16 6:13 pm, edited 7/16/16 11:13 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

We have psychological hunger in addition to physical hunger.  We have what is called a neuroendocrine response to things.  We also can be conditioned to want to eat despite being physiologically hungry.  A doctor called Pavlov conditioned dogs to salivate when he rang a bell, for instance.  So, we can also become hungry due to environmental cues.  I become hungry as soon as I sit down at work, even if I just ate!  That's gotten better with time, at least.

The best way to fix this is with a comprehensive approach.  Take note of what triggers a response.  It's important to identify triggers.  Only eat in appropriate places for eating.  I don't eat in bed.  I used to not eat in front of the TV either, but that's harder with a tiny apartment.  

If you can't redirect yourself, have a list of activities to engage in rather than eating.  These can include: radio, music, television, crafts, gardening, walking, calling a friend, etc.  Add whatever things you like to do.  :)  I find this really helps quite a bit.

If I'm absolutely stuck I drink very cold water.  Usually with a flavor of some sort.   If I have them, I'll also have a sugar-free popsicle (no carbs, 5-15 calories depending).  That definitely always works.  I try to avoid this though, because it reinforces the stimulus.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 7/16/16 6:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hmm, perhaps a better way to put it is neurological hunger versus gastrointestinal hunger?  I'm apparently have asleep, bleh.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

diane S.
on 7/17/16 3:36 pm

I did not encounter this. In fact, lots of foods grossed me out. But I suspect its the classic Pavlovian response and probably will go away. Congrats on your sleeve. You might meditate on the idea that just because you see food you don't need to eat it. I used to be a charter member of the see it and eat it club.  no more (well not much).  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/