Is this normal? 4 days post-op

honeywell
on 7/18/16 2:29 pm

Hello all!

I am day 4 post-op and when I'm sipping on some chicken broth or eating a popsicle, etc sometimes it feels like my stomach swells up after I swallow and then deflates. It's not painful but UNCOMFORTABLE. Is this just gas? Am I sipping too fast? Too much? I can't really gauge what I'm feeling right now. Hoping you all can explain it to me.

I'm doing well today! Soreness in my tummy where my stomach was removed, a little run down but nothing monumental to report! 

KTnj63
on 7/18/16 2:54 pm
VSG on 07/07/16

I'm 12 days post op and I had the same feeling.  I described the feeling like a wave. It never really hurt just an odd feeling.  I still have it a little but not as frequent. So I'm hoping its normal.  Lol

honeywell
on 7/18/16 2:56 pm

YES!!! Excellent description!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/18/16 3:43 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Might be sipping too fast and taking in too much air when you swallow. The nerves in your stomach are cut and so your feeling will be a little funky for a bit, that makes it hard to tell what's going on!

See if slowing down helps at all. You can also try different temperatures of liquid as well. Some people have trouble with cold, but better luck with warm or ho****er. There's a bit of trial and error at first, but it gets better-- especially towards the end of the first week when the swelling goes down a bit.

Hang in there!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

JTomo08
on 7/18/16 9:31 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

It could be the way food was cooked too. When I was in the hospital they gave me Cream of Chicken soup and it make me instantly sick. The next day I had some that my mom made and it was fun.

It could very well be the gas too. I had a lot of gas pain the week after surgery and wasn't getting enough water in because it hurt. If it is the gas it will pass in about a week!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/19/16 3:42 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had that same feeling in the beginning - it went away after a while (don't remember how long but was definitely gone by a few weeks in).  I would think it is caused by a healing stomach getting used to something being in it again.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views