Traveling during full liquid & puree phases

jesuiscrystal
on 7/21/16 9:22 am - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

Road Trip!

I wanted to pick your brains a bit about my situation. Surgery was on 7/12, and I'm doing great. We're headed down to the in-laws' on Saturday, and it's a two leg trip with an overnight in a hotel with a fridge/microwave. I'm on full liquids until Tuesday. I'm bringing a cooler with ready to drink protein shakes and water. I have a couple of cans of Campbell's Healthy Request Tomato soup (the ready to drink kind) that I know are way too big yet hassle free, so I don't mind the waste. I'm also planning on bringing a separate cold pack with two ounce servings of thinned cream soups (frozen). 

Do you guys have any other ideas/tips for me? I know I need to stop often and walk, but that's not a problem as I'm traveling with three little girls with teeny tiny bladders. 

Also, on the way back I'll have advanced to purees. Any options besides Taco Bell pintos and cheese? We'll have access to a full kitchen at our destination, so I can puree and freeze items on the way back as well. Also, I was thinking this might be a great time to break out the baby food.

Kris R.
on 7/21/16 10:43 am - Walworth, NY

That is awesome you're doing well.  I've been on a few road trips and I think what you have planned is awesome.  Although I wouldn't go for the baby-food, but up to you.  I also brought yogurt with me ( froze it - put it in the cooler and then ate it when it was thawed). The hardest part for me is something to nibble on - my girls would get the chip bags crinkling or even the carrots munching and damn head hunger would kick in.  so, you might want to plan a soft snack.  You should be able to have Baby Bell cheese on your way home and you might want to bring some tuna with you, the kind that comes in the bags is best for traveling.   Best of luck, stay safe and have fun.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

IamevilHomer
on 7/21/16 10:44 am
VSG on 06/01/16

I had my surgery in Mexico so flew home (an all day affair) during the full liquid phase. I did fine with RTD protein shakes and bottled water. 

During the the pureed stage (and still now actually) I liked Wendy's Chili. I can only eat 1/2 of a small but it's cheap and a pretty good source of protein. 

jesuiscrystal
on 7/21/16 12:59 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

Love Wendy's chili. I'll have to puree, portion, and freeze that too.

cconroy55
on 7/21/16 1:15 pm

I brought powdered protein soups from BariWise to my cousin's wedding when I was in the liquid phase - they were a nice change from the sweet shakes and when at a restaurant I could just order a cup of ho****er (like for tea) and put them in and have them nice and warm (this was in February...).  I liked the cream of mushroom and also unjury chicken soup flavor.  

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/21/16 3:59 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Also remember you don't have to advance to the next phase.  You can do liquids for your trip to and from if that's easier.

You can always add some unflavored protien powder to yogurt, soups, pintos and cheese, mashed potatoes and the like.  Try and keep your carbs down, mash taters arnt a great choice but they might be something you can get on your journey if your feeling like eating food is important over a shake.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Valerie G.
on 7/22/16 8:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Ricotta is a great protein source at that stage.  You can make it savory with a little tomato sauce and cheese, or make it a treat with some instant pudding mix and a splash of milk or cream to soften the consistency.  It has 7g of protein in only 1/4 cup.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views