Need advice on hair loss

Valerie G.
on 7/27/16 7:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's true, there is nothing you can do about this.  Any supplements or extra protein will benefit the new growth that is pushing out the old hair.

My best advice for you is a new makeover.  Get a shorter cut with some layers to blend in that new growth so you don't look like a chia pet.  You've lost 40 lbs, your soul will thank you for the confidence boost.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

FuturePinUp
on 7/27/16 8:12 am

I didn't have any hair loss post-VSG. Not sure if it's genetics or diet, but I made sure to always get over 60g of protein a day (since Day 1 post-op), be vigilant with my vitamins, and take biotin daily. Hopefully, since you're already doing all that, it will minimize the effects.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Kris R.
on 7/27/16 10:21 am - Walworth, NY

Hi, I'm almost 6 months post op, and mine is still falling out, although at a much slower pace than before.  So I'm hoping it will stop all together soon.  Now to fight with the re-growth :)

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

spittman
on 7/27/16 10:31 am - Reston, VA
VSG on 06/29/09 with

I had my surgery in 2009. I still take Biotin. The hair loss will stop and most people see their hair growing again around the one year mark. it will get better good luck!!

As of 12/10/10 CW: 150 pounds Lost: 52 

Nicole K.
on 7/27/16 1:18 pm - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/12/16

Hello!

I'm right there with you.  I had my RNY 2/12/16 and about 8 weeks later...YIKES.  I used to have thick, luscious hair but no more.  I'm losing (it seems) staggering amounts every day, I feel it running down my back when I wash my hair and I get a brush full every time I comb it.  Biotin and supplements don't seem to be helping slow it down.  My friends assure me that it's not that noticeable but it's scaring the daylights out of me.  I keep thinking to myself, "Great, I'm going to be thin...but bald".  From everything I've heard, it doesn't get to the point of wearing a wig, I think we just have to ride it out.  I just got all my lab work and everything looks great there, I don't think it's any kind of deficiency, we're just one of the unlucky ones.  I'm very self conscious about it, as I'm sure you are too.  If you find anything that helps slow it down or any additional information, let us know!

Nicole 

RNY on 2/12/2016 with Dr. Kent Sasse

First consultation weight: 309  Goal weight: 150

Sunqueen15
on 7/27/16 8:13 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I had my RNY on March 21st, one month ago my hair started to fall out in the clump fulls while I washed in the shower. I chopped my long (almost to my lower back) hair off and its now right above my shoulders with a few layers. I refuse to go any shorter and it wouldn't help if I did because I have a few bald spots right at the crown of my head and very thin on top. I can currently only wear one hair style with my hair down and that is to scrunch my hair into its curly state with a sea salt spray, pull the front of my hair (bang area) back and secure with bobby pins to use that hair to cover my bald spots. If I lose too much more, I'll be in a hat the remainder of my hair loss days. It sickens me, makes me sad, and I cry nearly every day. I wanted to be confident in the way my body looked but now I have a whole other reason to hide in my office. I do not feel feminine in a hat and I'm afraid to walk in front of a fan! I recently increased my protein intake by chugging an extra premiere shake a day, take 2 doses of biotin a day, get all my vitamins in along with a lysine pill, and purchased the "Just Naturals" hair loss shampoo/conditioner and grow new hair serum. This change has only been going on for a week and I do not expect miracles so I can't say its working but I will tell you I love the softness and body my hair got from the shampoo and conditioner. Unfotunatly, they are expensive products and I paid $95 for all 3 together. 

I was thankful to find your post because I wanted to know if it also stops, when that might be, and could I count on it coming back?? I wish you the best of luck and hopefully one day soon we can both look back and wonder why we worried so much because now we are skinny with beautiful hair :-) 

Maria_Wilent1273
on 7/28/16 6:29 am

May hair loss began about 3 months after my surgery. Take your vitamins and biotin as directed. Wash your hair every other day(This is hard for me still)  I also went with a shorter cut. It won't last long. Hang in there.

Melinda1
on 7/28/16 7:50 am

I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago,  and my hair started falling out also.  I started taking vitamins for hair, nails and skin.  And during that time I curled my hair to make it less noticeable, but today it is thicker than it was before surgery.  Hang in there it gets better. 

Tracy D.
on 7/28/16 1:22 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Michelle - I see you've received a lot of responses on this but I'll put my plug in here: hair loss sucks!  I've had 3 surgeries now in the last 3 years and every single time I lost a LOT of hair.  Most people lose some; a few people lose none; and some - like me - lose a LOT!  My hair guy estimates I lost at least half my hair after both major surgeries (VSG and LBL).  

For me, I took my vitamins, ate all my protein, bought the shampoos and took biotin (they do nothing for loss), massaged my scalp - you name it, I did it.  For me it took a good year before I saw significant regrowth and 18 months before I would say my hair was "normal".  I think it's actually better than it was before, honestly.  But wow - it's an emotional 18 months! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active