Things I'm worried about #1- water

dime
on 8/1/16 2:08 pm

I am a huge water drinker. I currently aim for a gallon/day and it has kept my skin clear, eyes bright and me feeling great. I'm nervous that the goal after surgery will only be 64 oz. I thought the "new' rule of thumb was to get in half of your body weight in ounces in a day.

Will I feel dehydrated/thirsty?

Will I start to look dull?

Does anyone out there drink a gallon a day postop?

stacyrg
on 8/1/16 2:18 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Drink as much water and you can and/or want.  The 64oz goal is the minimum, not a maximum.  You will find that many of us far exceed that amount.

dime
on 8/1/16 2:24 pm

Good to know. I've only read about people struggling to drink 1-2 oz at a time. Thank you.

HW 273 CW 250 5'2 Dr. Miguel Burch Not yet sleeved

stacyrg
on 8/1/16 2:30 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I'm not saying it's going to be easy or that you'll be able to get in even the 64oz right after surgery.  You'll have to work up to drinking your normal amount.  I'm 2+ years post VSG and 4 weeks post conversion to RNY (because of uncontrollable GERD) and I regularly get 120+ oz in a day

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/1/16 2:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Immediately post op, you're fairly swollen and it's hard to drink much at a time. The best most folks can (and should!) do are tiny sips constantly. I don't think I was able to drink 4oz in a single go until a month or so after surgery. After a few months, you can drink like you did before surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/1/16 2:41 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your goal is actually 64oz OR MORE. If you want to drink more than that, nothing is stopping you!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 8/2/16 4:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

64oz is the minimum requirement, not a goal to work up to, an 64oz will be a chore for a long time, but I'm glad you understand the importance of it.  That being said - I can easily drink a gallon a day (and I do), but I'm 11 years post op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

FuturePinUp
on 8/2/16 6:44 am

I have never had an issue getting my water in post-op. From Day 1, I wa****ting (and surpassing) my 64 oz. minimum. I think being such a big water drinker before surgery really helped me post-op because I was DYING for water and it was even more delicious immediately after surgery. You will be fine. :)

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

dime
on 8/2/16 8:01 am

Thank you to everyone *****plied. I didn't realize this forum would help calm my nerves so much. I am going to try and revisit all of my worries after my surgery.

HW 273 CW 250 5'2 Dr. Miguel Burch Not yet sleeved

Murk
on 8/2/16 9:21 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

Everyone is different. Dehydration was one of my biggest fears because my sister was hospitalized with dehydration from her RNY 5 years ago. I am 3 weeks out from a sleeve and I was able to drink my 64oz easily on the second day. I just had to take smaller sips. I can drink 80oz now, no problem and almost at the same rate as before surgery. I could drink more but 80 is enough for me.