What an event!

Scubachick
on 8/7/16 6:31 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

My surgery on Monday was delayed over 5 hours due to complications with the two patients before me.  I vaguely remember being in my room around 9pm.  At 12:30am my nurse said that I was supposed to be up and walking but she was going to let me sleep.  A heaven sent angel! My back was killing me from being in a bed for over 12 hours, so at 3:30am, I was cruising the halls.  My doctor told me he repaired my hiatal hernia which was a surprise to both of us!  I'm a tad tired and sore but know that will get better with time.  I have been so dang busy with the sip sip sip, walk walk walk, that I haven't had time to connect with everyone.  I go for my first dr's appointment next Monday and really hope that they advance me to pureed foods.  I've been on the liquid diet since July 11, and am about done with that fun:)  It's off to work tomorrow, and I hope that I can last for at least half the day.

Thanks for all your warm wishes and good thoughts sent my way.  I'm glad to have found you and look forward to learning from this outstanding group of folks.

HW 225 / SW 210.5 / GW 130

Month1) 14.5, Month2) 10, Month3) 11, Month4) 9, Month5) 5, Month6) 5, Month7) 6, Month8) 3

j3j3real
on 8/7/16 7:38 pm
VSG on 08/19/16

Yes the liquid diet does get old. I know my dr said to expect to be on it for 5 weeks 2 before a 3after my surgery. My surgery is on 8/19. So, I'm only on day 3 of this fun world of liquids. Tell us how you feel at the job.

Anita
on 8/7/16 10:28 pm

it will be worth it.....frustrating, but worth it.....good luck with your journey!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Anita
on 8/7/16 10:27 pm

Welcome to the Loser's Bench.....glad all went well (other than the delay).....I had a hiatal hernia repair also, but mine was expected.

Take it slow tomorrow and don't be afraid to tell people that you're in need of some quiet time. If they don't know about your surgery or what you had done, simply tell them you had a hiatal hernia repair....it won't be a lie and besides that, what you do is really no one's biz!

I was moved forward to full liquids after one week....meaning protein shakes and cream soups.......it's not so bad, but it does get old after a while. You really won't be able to tolerate much this soon anyway, so don't worry too much.

Now, when you get to purees.....woo hoo....something to "chew." Before you know it, you'll be there and the liquid diet will all seem like ancient history. You'll be feeling so much better by then and it will be a new adventure in meal time.

What is so interesting is that when I go out for dinner, I eat what I want (or can....which isn't very much) and then I take the rest home and it turns out to be another 2 or 3 meals.....it's wonderful! When I go out for dinner with my boyfriend, I just take part of his meal and we're both happy because he's not stuffing himself and I've had just enough to feel pleasantly full.

Most important advice I can give you.....and everyone has gone through this, so when it happens, don't think that you've invented something new to cause discomfort..........when your new stomach lets you know you're full.....STOP eating.....that "one extra bite" is going to be a problem and you will be unhappy. It took me about three times before I learned my lesson!

So, keep on sipping and walking.....you'll get your strength back pretty soon and before you know it, when you look in the mirror, you'll be looking at a totally different person.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

rachelp
on 8/8/16 7:09 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Pureed doesn't even sound good to me. I'm ready for soft food lol! Good luck at work today!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

McLassie
on 8/8/16 7:30 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Congrats! Sorry your surgery was delayed. That must've been a LONG five hours. I hope you can advance to pureed next Monday. It's life changing, honestly. So happy for you!

Kelly L.
on 8/8/16 9:41 am

Congrats on being sleeved and welcome to the losers bench!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views