Head Hunger

jenny_733
on 8/15/16 2:42 pm

I really don't get this whole "head hunger". I am 6 week s post op and feel like I am physically hungry. Stomach growling, hunger pain. I emailed my MD office and was told it is head hunger and to make sure I am getting my protein and fluids in (which I am). I just don't understand how if it is supposed to be head hunger, why I have physical symptoms. I will drink water or a protein shake to see if it combats the feeling, but no luck. I take omeprazole twice daily and added pepcid once daily. I do not have reflux feelings, nausea or heartburn. Everything is GREAT except these "hunger" feelings!

SherBear1481
on 8/15/16 3:13 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

I am about 6.5 weeks post op and I definitely have what I would consider hunger pains. My stomach growls and I feel hungry. Some days are better than others. I was planning on bringing this up with my nutritionist next week. 

I know some people still feel hunger after the surgery but I am not sure how to tell if its actual hunger pains or head hunger? When my stomach starts growling I always start with water just to make sure... but usually need to eat something.

I was really hoping I wouldn't be one of the unlucky ones who still feel hunger :(

happyteacher
on 8/15/16 3:26 pm

Acid mimics hunger for us. Are you taking a PPI?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jenny_733
on 8/15/16 3:28 pm

Yes, taking omeprazole twice daily

White Dove
on 8/15/16 3:36 pm - Warren, OH

How many meals are you eating each day?  How much time passes after eating before the hunger occurs?

I eat six small meals a day.  There is about three hours between meals and I do not get hungry. 

Are you being careful not to drink for at least thirty minutes after eating?  Drinking too soon after eating washes the food out of your sleeve and you get hungery quicker.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jenny_733
on 8/15/16 3:38 pm

Eating 6 small meals daily and complying with the fluids before/after eating. As a for instance, I ate some chicken at lunchtime, and felt the hunger feeling 45 min later. I will probably make an appt with the nutritionist but it is just so frustrated feeling like this.

happyteacher
on 8/15/16 5:30 pm

Still sounds like acid with that timing- try a different ppi. Some people here have to try a few different ones until they find something that works.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

DianaSleeve
on 8/15/16 3:59 pm
VSG on 05/25/16

I am 12 weeks post op and had the same thing. The Omeprazole twice daily helped me a lot. You may not be getting enough to eat at meal times. There is a delicate balance between eating enough to sustain you until the next meal and eating too much. I am still learning, but it has gotten so much better. As your diet improves and you move on to more solid food and less liquid, it truly does get better.

My dietician also told me that if I were "truly physically hungry" I would eat a protein like chicken, fish or something and not the snacks things. Try drinking something when you are hungry. That is something else she shared. Sometimes our hunger feelings are really our body asking for something to drink. 

It is difficult, but hang in there. If not, you need to talk to your doctor about a stronger antacid because you may have gastritis.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you!

DianaSleeve
on 8/15/16 4:01 pm
VSG on 05/25/16

Jenny,

I am 12 weeks post op and had the same thing. The Omeprazole twice daily helped me a lot. You may not be getting enough to eat at meal times. There is a delicate balance between eating enough to sustain you until the next meal and eating too much. I am still learning, but it has gotten so much better. As your diet improves and you move on to more solid food and less liquid, it truly does get better.

My dietician also told me that if I were "truly physically hungry" I would eat a protein like chicken, fish or something and not the snacks things. Try drinking something when you are hungry. That is something else she shared. Sometimes our hunger feelings are really our body asking for something to drink. 

It is difficult, but hang in there. If not, you need to talk to your doctor about a stronger antacid because you may have gastritis.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/16 4:40 pm

Boy, oh boy do I get your frustration! Been there, done that!!!!!! 

Given what you've written about the amount of time that passes after eating and the stomach growling begins, I would bet money on acid over production. This is common post VSG. Your body has not adjusted to the small stomach size and is still producing for a full stomach. For some Prilosec (Omeprazole) works just fine. It did for me for a short time, but I ended up having to be switched to a stronger PPI. I'm now on Protonix and it alleviated my symptoms (exactly as you describe yours) within 24 hours. They have never come back.

I'm going to urge you to ask either your surgeon or your MD for a different PPI. The Prilosec isn't working for you, is my guess. 

BTW - head hunger as I see it are those times when  you want to eat and feel driven to eat, but if you stop and listen to your body you will find that you are not physically hungry. I understand this one, too. Most of us got obese because we ate when we weren't hungry. The longer you sit with your VSG, you will understand the difference. Give yourself time. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 196 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views