Imagining things, apparently.

Mai23
on 9/18/16 10:23 am

I was sleeved about eight years ago. Recently I've been having heartburn troubles. So I've gotten an upper GI and an endoscopy. Anyways to my point. I have been convinced for a couple years now that I stretched my sleeve and that I have something if not the size of a normal stomach than at least significantly larger than what I started with. I was imagining this apparently. Because surgeon says my sleeve is exactly the same size as when I was sleeved, and that he's never seen someone who still had a stomach this small 8 years post op. I had a consult with another gastroenterologist who said the same thing. 

I'm shocked because I KNOW I can eat sigbificantly more than before (even if no one else believes me) and also because I was kinda hoping to be resleeved to return to my "imaginary" smaller stomach size. 

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else is experiencing something similar. 

Gwen M.
on 9/18/16 10:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is reassuring!  It probably means that if you stick to dense proteins, you'll feel restriction :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diane S.
on 9/18/16 11:16 am

Who knows why this is. As time goes by I feel like I can eat more but some days restriction kicks in really good. It may be due to more variety and stomach emptying or not at much dense protein. I have let the dense protein slide a little. Last night I had some slow cooked grilled beef and could not finish 4 ounces..  Now if that had been something else, could have been a lot more. I am 6 + years out and am still glad for restriction.  So good on you for no losing restriction.  diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

psychoticparrot
on 9/18/16 5:57 pm

The stomach is a strange animal. Yesterday I ate an entire chicken thigh (sans skin and bone), yet today, even having had a lighter lunch than usual, I could only eat about half of a chicken thigh.

Gwen's advice is good -- protein first and always.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."