Long time lurker, first post...

Emjaybutters
on 9/19/16 11:26 pm, edited 9/19/16 11:29 pm
VSG on 10/17/16

Hi all, 

My surgery is in 4 weeks today. Im in Brisbane, Qld Australia. I'm starting my preop this weekend, on Saturday. I'm due to start no later than Monday but I won't put my work friends through that!!! 

Iv ordered my elliptical cross trainer today and it is due to be delivered on the day I'm discharged post op. 

My boyfriend is super supportive and is starting my preop diet with me. We only eat dinner together so he will eat what I eat until I go to bed and then he can top up his dinner :) 

I signed all my consent paperwork with my surgeon yesterday and found out the hospital I'm having the op has changed. I'm a bit nervous about that because originally I was told I had to have the op at a hospital with an emergency and ICU due to my BMI and my sleep apnoea. Now it's been moved to fit with the surgery schedule with no A&E or ICU. 

It's not my first op, back surgery 4.5yrs ago and needed a week in hospital. This surgery does have less risk of paralysis which is what I keep reminding myself of. 

31 yrs old, Height 167cm, current weight 128.kg, goal weight 70kg. 

Looking forward to reduction in back pain, hopefully remission of sleep apnoea, increased energy... Challanging my Pepsi max dependency and my ongoing disordered eating patterns. 

I guess that is enough of an introduction for now. I'll keep you updated and hope for your ongoing support for my preop diet :) 

Em

roxytrim
on 9/20/16 4:00 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Great first post, you will get more out of the community if you keep engaged. 

It sounds like you have your ducks in a row and are focused on areas you know you will need to be extra vigilant.  You may be surprised that after surgery old habits you thought would be challenging are not really an issue - but others you hadn't considered bop you in the head.

Look at the preop diet as your start of surgery.  It prepares you both mentally and physically, a good time to get your head into the game.

cappy11448
on 9/20/16 4:11 am

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find it as supportive and informative as I have.

Try not to worry about the surgery.  The anesthesia and surgical procedures are so much better than they were in the past.  The laparoscopic surgery really improves the recovery. 

I was 385 pounds when starting the process, and 330 pounds when I had surgery.  I was so afraid of it, and it was so uneventful.  I was up and walking later in the day, and they sent me home from the hospital a day early because I was doing so well.  I had little pain, and didn't need anything stronger than Tylenol.  I did feel like I had the flu for about 3 days - tired, achy, headache, etc.  But it wasn't bad. 

I also had severe sleep apnea, but they put a breathing tube in so the apnea isn't really an issue during the surgery.  And my apnea was cured by weight loss.  Good bye, CPAP!

best of luck.  Try not to worry.  Most people come thru the surgery with few problems, and if you are unfortunate to have complications, you will have plenty of time to worry later! (smile)

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

AMAZEBALLS
on 9/20/16 4:56 am - Dieppe, Canada
VSG on 04/19/16

Good luck to you! Very sweet of your boyfriend to be so supportive! :)

" I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

VSG: April 19, 2016, Dr. Beausoleil, Moncton NB, Canada

5' 2'' HW:276 SW:267 CW:149 GW:150 DreamW:136

Lodie
on 9/20/16 7:36 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Welcome to the group! If you frequent the site on a regular basis you will find it great source of information and experience. I have had previous back surgery and can't even compare the two surgeries. VSG is a much shorter procedure and done laparoscopic so the recovery and pain post op are not anything alike. I would advise you to go back and read previous posts and search topics that are of special interest to you. I have found that I had to work on my mind as much as my body during all of this. My mind has been the biggest challenge! Many seek out therapy to assist them with various eating disorders. It is great that you have a good support system in place. It really helps you during the initial stages especially. Stay committed to the whole life style change, not just the weight loss and you will be successful. Best of luck moving forward, we are excited for  you!

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

rubies
on 9/20/16 7:55 am

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!  Your boyfriend sounds like a wonderful support.

I had a couple surgeries before my VSG - breast reduction and gall bladder.  The VSG was a piece of cake in comparison.  Both my surgery and recovery were uneventful.  Here's hoping your experience is the same!

HW 269; SW 254; GW 159; CW 152

5'7"

Surgery Date: 1/29/2015

Joshua H.
on 9/20/16 10:32 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Welcome and congrats on your upcoming surgery!  Sounds like you have an awesome boyfriend to help you through this.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/20/16 7:41 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Congrats & Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your upcoming surgery & hope you have a speedy recovery. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Emjaybutters
on 9/20/16 7:56 pm
VSG on 10/17/16

Thanks everyone :) I'm really glad for all the support!!!

Tempestt
on 9/21/16 4:07 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!  I am 2 weeks post-op today and just had my first soft food, an egg, in 4 weeks!  Time goes by fast though and your surgery will be here before you know it.  

Sleeve September 7, 2016

5' 3"; Highest Weight/Program Start Weight: 256.6 lbs.; Surgery Weight: 214.6 lbs. Goal Weight: 145

"A year from now you will wish you started today." - Karen Lamb

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views