Juicing.yay or nay?.?.?

happyteacher
on 9/24/16 1:35 pm

My NuWave has been collecting dust lately. I got it when I was going through constant reconstructiv surgeries and unable to lift any weight or extend my arms (elbows above shoulder, reading down to lower cupboards). It was super helpful during that time, but now I tend to only pull it out when we are cooking pasties from the freezer. I found once I got my airfryer it replaced nearly everything I did in the NuWave.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grim_Traveller
on 9/22/16 6:30 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

WLS is really meant to work in conjunction with a diet emphasizing dense protein. Drinking liquid calories just defeats the purpose of the surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Anita
on 9/22/16 6:37 pm

Since I know virtually nothing about juicing, I can't give you an opinion. I have friends who have done well on those programs. I'll be curious to learn how it works out for you. Since it's only for a week, I don't know the pros or cons. What does your doctor say?

Keep us posted as to results, and good luck!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

hollykim
on 9/22/16 6:39 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 23, 2016 at 12:52 AM Pacific Time, Queen_Q89 wrote:

I'm going to go on a juicing diet with a family member for a week. She hasn't had wls, but as far as me I'm going to incorporate at least one protein shake a day for breakfast. Im not sure but I may add in some unflavored protein powder in all of my drinks just to be able to still get in some protein. For those who may not be familiar with juicing its when you consume only the juices of fruits and veggies mixed.. no food (water of course). Just thinking about it sounds like a lot. Im not to good with getting in all of my fluids, but hopefully I'll be able to since I wont be having any food. I plan on including plenty of green leafy veggies as well since I became anemic after my sleeve. Wish me well. Have any of you tried juicing? How was it for you? 

fruit is pure sugar. As long as you give your body pure sugar to burn,your body won't burn your stored fat, leading to little or no weight loss

MissNexxie
on 9/22/16 7:11 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Good luck, however, you should exercise caution with this.  You are basically omitting the one thing our sleeve needs the most of: dense protein.  It gives us satiety and feeds our bodies.  Try all/only dense protein for a week instead (eggs, meat, jerky, greek yogurt, cheese - a variety of those things).  All that sugar may very well trigger some serious cravings, plus, it sounds a lot like all the quickie diets we went on in our old days.  What are you hoping this juice diet will do for you?

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Queen_Q89
on 9/22/16 7:40 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On September 23, 2016 at 2:11 AM Pacific Time, MissNexxie wrote:

Good luck, however, you should exercise caution with this.  You are basically omitting the one thing our sleeve needs the most of: dense protein.  It gives us satiety and feeds our bodies.  Try all/only dense protein for a week instead (eggs, meat, jerky, greek yogurt, cheese - a variety of those things).  All that sugar may very well trigger some serious cravings, plus, it sounds a lot like all the quickie diets we went on in our old days.  What are you hoping this juice diet will do for you?

Im doing a cleanse and detox with a friend. Ive been dealing with recent stresses from the loss of a family member and I got off track and turned to food. I spoke with my doctor about it and he ok'd it. Theres some body cleansing products that my friend purchased and im going to do mine while juicing with fruits and veggies along with protein shakes. After that im gonna try my hardest to go cold turkey on the sweets. Im vegetarian also so, im hoping that this wont be that difficult.

McLassie
on 9/23/16 8:44 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Detoxes and cleanses are fallacies. There is no scientific evidence that they do anything beneficial to our bodies, and in fact may harm us. If you have a working liver and at least one kidney, your body is doing all that detoxification for you. 

Sorry to hear about your loss. 

psychoticparrot
on 9/22/16 8:01 pm

I tried juicing for about 3 months 2 years before my sleeve surgery. Bought the expensive monster machine that could get juice out of gravel. I will say that I lost some weight and my labs improved quite a bit while I was on it.

Why I didn't stay on it -- It got monotonous. No matter how much i varied the fruits and vegetables, it all started tasting the same before long. And any juice that had green stuff in it (spinach, kale, chard, etc.) pretty much tasted like lawn clippings to me. After a while, I literally gagged with every sip I took.

I think juicing might be useful for an occasional weekend fast when you feel you need a jump-start to break a stall or just to feel more energetic. But as a long-term way of eating (or drinking), it's not sustainable, IMO. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Queen_Q89
on 9/22/16 8:03 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On September 23, 2016 at 3:01 AM Pacific Time, psychoticparrot wrote:

I tried juicing for about 3 months 2 years before my sleeve surgery. Bought the expensive monster machine that could get juice out of gravel. I will say that I lost some weight and my labs improved quite a bit while I was on it.

Why I didn't stay on it -- It got monotonous. No matter how much i varied the fruits and vegetables, it all started tasting the same before long. And any juice that had green stuff in it (spinach, kale, chard, etc.) pretty much tasted like lawn clippings to me. After a while, I literally gagged with every sip I took.

I think juicing might be useful for an occasional weekend fast when you feel you need a jump-start to break a stall or just to feel more energetic. But as a long-term way of eating (or drinking), it's not sustainable, IMO. 

psychoticparrot

Yeah. Im only gonna be doing it for a week. Just a mini detox

Spturley
on 9/23/16 6:44 am
VSG on 10/12/16

If you decide to go this route, I would add a fiber supplement. The major downside to juicing is that most fiber from fruits and veggies is removed when juicing.

"So...all of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will - where do you want to start?"

VSG: 10/12/16

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views