Advil Gel Caps for the pain?

califsleevin
on 11/3/16 5:16 pm - CA

The NSAID issue is a controversial one within the bariatric community, mostly because they are a giant NO-NO for the bypass due to specific structural quirks with that procedure, and since most bariatric surgeons learned the trade with the bypass, that advice bleeds over into newer procedures that they adopt until they get comfortable with the characteristics of those new procedures. Those surgeons who do have enough experience with the sleeve and selectively advise using NSAIDs vary a fair amount in their usage advice from waiting a few months post op to almost immediately post op, and usually advise having them with food and frequently in conjunction with a PPI. Advil (ibuprofin) is generally considered to be friendlier to the stomach than aspirin or naproxin. I would think (not being an MD or pharmacist) that the gelcaps would be similar to the liquid, assuming similar dosing, but your instincts are correct in getting in touch with your surgeon's office - it's really his call.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

DakotaCJ
on 11/3/16 6:21 pm

Thanks califsleevin,

My doctor is very experienced in he sleeve and I do know the liquid Advil was OK. I don't remember on Gel Caps but they should get back to me. I think they said yes but I will wait until I hear. Appreciate the feedback.

Donna L.
on 11/3/16 6:22 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

14 months out and the surgeon said I can take NSAIDs, sparingly in very low doses, and only the minimum dose.  However, other medical staff on the team disagre and stated to not take them at all.  Close to surgery they were forbidden.  I'm actually surprised about the liquid Advil, but every surgeon is different.

Better to err on the side of caution until the surgeon calls and use non-medication arthritis management.  Teeny stomachs can be grumpy when new.

I actually need a knee and a shoulder replacement from severe arthritis and I take zero pain killers.  I just work around it, and use non-medication to manage discomfort.  I am not saying you should have to live with pain, but you should be okay for a few hours til they call back, at least. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 11/3/16 7:09 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

The ASMBS advises VSG patients to NOT USE NSAIDs.  Your options are tylenol (acetaminophen) and prescription pain killers.  You should not take Advil, regardless of how far post-op you are.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cathy H.
on 11/3/16 7:36 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I just had my VSG and it was drilled into me from day one, repeatedly...absolutley NO NSAIDS, even supposed to get that on my Med ID bracelet.  Tylenol only I was told, no exceptions.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

justsonya
on 11/4/16 11:17 am
RNY on 09/01/16

I have severe osteoarthritis in my left shoulder, knee and wrist (two joints getting replaced next year!) and I found that liquid Tylenol worked very well for my pain after surgery. Going in, I'd been on morphine, oxycodone, muscle relaxers and Naproxen. After surgery all I've needed so far is the liquid Tylenol. I would recommend trying that before an NSAID to minimize issues for your new sleeve. If you are concerned about needing an NSAID your surgeon can give you medication to take with the NSAID to help prevent ulcers. Mine offered it to me if I needed them after surgery.

Cosmos2112
on 11/4/16 2:06 pm

I have a few questions. Liquid Tylenol, for adults? I've only seen the childrens type. Readily available and where to purchase?  Bio freeze is great stuff, is it safe for aching joints?  What about pain patches? 

Lilly8985
on 11/4/16 5:59 pm

I was able to find the liquid Tylenol for adults at Wal-Mart. 

diane S.
on 11/6/16 12:08 pm

My surgeon told me it was ok to take NSAIDS occasionally after I was all healed up (one month) but to take them with a little food.  In fact, part of the reason I won my insurance appeal which would have covered RNY but not VSG was that I had a need to use NSAIDS on occasion for hand pain. 

However that was nearly 8 years ago. Next time I see my surgeon I will ask him if he has changed his opinion on NSAIDS in view of the ASBS change.  

Ask the pharmacist if its ok to open up the gel caps. Let us know what you find out.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

crsrenee
on 11/18/16 9:16 am

Interesting...all the banter you received in your replies. I have researched this exhaustingly because I had read of doctors using and prescribing NSAIDS after VSG....Advil is an NSAID and if your doctor did not tell you NOT to use them especially after bariatric surgery he should have!

Google "VSG and Advil and NSAIDS" there are a number of articles to be found, or even easier check out the you tube posts by "Surgeons of Excellence" in speciallty "Bariatric Surgery" these are the surgeons recognized for the best practices, education and morbidity rates based on a number of factors.

http://www.surgicalreview.org